Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2011/08/28 21:18:12 UTC

RE: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS

Item (a, below) did not strike me as important until I saw it again while looking for the information about the missing/problem files in the SVN import from Mercurial.

There are special rules for dealing with headers in third-party software and in software under an SGA.  We need to follow those.

In particular, the general way that headers are changed in code under an SGA is by the contributor changing them, because they have the right to do so as the copyright holder.

Since that has not been done, we need some guidance on what to do with the headers on the current files.

My concern is that we need may need a modification of the DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE ... copyright notice, and the license and disclaimer header, but we can't just paste the stock ALv2 "Code Developed at the ASF" header and notice in its place.

See <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html> for relevant information. (Note: According to this material, we can replace or move the notices if Apache has written permission to do so.  We need to be advised on what the actual case is and how to deal with it.  I.e., do we make NOTICE files, can we remove the in-header copyright notices, etc.)

 - Dennis

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Dennis,

On Aug 29, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> OK,
>
> I assume that, for an Apache Project, the standard license header is
> the one without copyright notices and beginning "Licensed to the
> Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor
> license agreements."  Is that correct for code under the CGA?

Yes.

> I don't know what the list of files in the grant looks like but
> there are nearly 100,000 individual artifacts in that code base.

The list of files is in the grant. Not everything in OO.o was owned by
Oracle, so we have to be careful not to change the license of those
files *not* included in the grant.

> Andrew Rist is the only Apache OpenOffice.org committer of those you
> named.  Peter Korn was invited and declined.

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Craig

> I'll check with Andrew to see if he is able to do this.
>
> - Dennis

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

RE: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
That's true.  If ASF receives written permission from Oracle to make the changes, and we have the list, we can then make the changes ourselves.

(My sense is that the options about this are stated in order of decreasing preference.)

It is clearly in Andrew's self-interest to make that happen, if possible [;<).

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Re: FW: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:

> We have finally brought a large chunk of the OpenOffice.org code base over to the Apache SVN under our incubator portion of the code tree.
>
> There are still notices on those files, such as the one copied below.
>
> We want to be careful in handling these files appropriately.  My questions are
>
>  1. Can we replace these notices with the standard "Code Developed at Apache" header?

There are Oracle employees participating in this podling.  Any chance
that one of them could make this change?  If so, nothing more will
need to be done.

- Sam Ruby

FW: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

 *