Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/23 04:01:08 UTC

[Vote promote ant-vss antlib to antlibs proper] result/summary

Hi,

It's been more than a week since I proposed that the ant-vss sandbox
antlib be promoted to the antlibs project as a full-time member.

Currently, we have two people who have expressed interest as
committers, myself and Stefan, the antlibs project requires at least
3 committers

The results of the vote to promote to antlibs proper:
1 +0
1 -0 (on the basis that Microsoft have a new product)
5 +1s - but with different views on the action to be taken with the
current optional task

 From this result, I cannot say that the antlib should be promoted at
this time, unless someone else steps up as a committer (as much as
everyone hates VSS, is there anyone else who has it installed?).
There are also conflicting views as to what to do with the current
optional tasks.  Dominique and Antoine favour completely dropping the
optional task and requiring vss users to use the antlib (should it
make it to the proper antlibs project), Stefan favours retaining the
optional task with a deprecated warning for this upcoming release.

Any guidance on what to do next would be appreciated.

With the 1.7.0 beta scheduled for the next few days, I'd like to
resolve some of the peripheral issues, and if the consensus is to
drop the optional vss task from the 1.7.0 release, I for one won't
shed any tears at it's passing.

Thanks,
Kev

--
"I call it the State where everyone, good or bad, is a poison-
drinker: the State where universal slow suicide is called - life" -

Re: [Vote promote ant-vss antlib to antlibs proper] result/summary

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On Aug 23, 2006, at 7:42 AM, Kev Jackson wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2006, at 10:57, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With the 1.7.0 beta scheduled for the next few days, I'd like to
>>> resolve some of the peripheral issues, and if the consensus is to
>>> drop the optional vss task from the 1.7.0 release, I for one won't
>>> shed any tears at it's passing.
>>
>> We can't drop them from this release as long as the VSS Antlib is in
>> the sandbox.  Users wouldn't have an alternative since the Antlib
>> wouldn't see a release anytime soon.
>
> I agree, that's why I'd like to promote the antlib from the sandbox
> and
> drop the optional task at the same time.  The thing holding the antlib
> in the sandbox is simple the lack of committers (AFAIK).

I think we should bend the rule and move the VSS antlib out of the
sandbox with just two committers.
Regards,
Antoine

Posted by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the 1.7.0 beta scheduled for the next few days, I'd like to
> resolve some of the peripheral issues, and if the consensus is to
> drop the optional vss task from the 1.7.0 release, I for one won't
> shed any tears at it's passing.

We can't drop them from this release as long as the VSS Antlib is in
the sandbox.  Users wouldn't have an alternative since the Antlib
wouldn't see a release anytime soon.

Stefan