Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donal Roantree <do...@roantree.com> on 2007/03/07 01:37:12 UTC

deploying without a context?

Hi. Sorry this seems so simple but I've been tearing my hair out. I want
to have my Tomcat application deployed to /AAA/BBB/CCC and browseable at
www.ABC.com. In the server.xml file I have a <Host> tag but I don't know
what I should put into the <Context> tag. I've been trying <Context
path="" docBase="">...</Context> but Tomcat seems to think that since I
don't have a path or docBase I must mean that everything is in
/AAA/BBB/CCC/ROOT which is NOT what I want. Surely this is a very common
setup.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Re: deploying without a context?

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Donal Roantree wrote:
> Hi. Sorry this seems so simple but I've been tearing my hair out. I want
> to have my Tomcat application deployed to /AAA/BBB/CCC and browseable at
> www.ABC.com. In the server.xml file I have a <Host> tag but I don't know
> what I should put into the <Context> tag. I've been trying <Context
> path="" docBase="">...</Context> but Tomcat seems to think that since I
> don't have a path or docBase I must mean that everything is in
> /AAA/BBB/CCC/ROOT which is NOT what I want. Surely this is a very common
> setup.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

You didn't describe your environment, OS, Tomcat version.

ROOT is the special name for the default application for a given host.
You can either deploy a ROOT.war into the hosts appBase, a deployed
webapp (in the ROOT directory) or you can place a ROOT.xml context file
(with an appropriate docBase attribute) into the
'<tomcat>/conf/Catalina/<hostname>/' directory.

Regardless, the behaviour you have discovered is the correct and
intended one.

The 'path' attribute is only used to indicate the webapp/context path,
in a <Context...>, when the context is defined in server.xml - which is
discouraged.