Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> on 2014/01/22 01:45:06 UTC

kerberos for outside threads

i understand kerberos is used on hadoop to provide security in a multi-user
environment, and i can totally see its usage for a shared cluster within a
company to make sure sensitive data for one department is safe from prying
eyes of another department.

but for a hadoop cluster that sits "behind" a bunch of web servers to do
say log analysis, and that already is protected by standard measures (no
route to cluster from outside, so a web server would have to get
compromised to gain access), is there any value in securing it with
kerberos? does anyone do that?

Re: kerberos for outside threads

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
That is a very appropriate setup. As long as those assumptions remain valid, of course. This was the only way how early hadoop clusters were secured - by restricting access to the cluster using firewall and gateways.

+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: kerberos for outside threads

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
Hey Haohui,
Thanks for responding. I understand that I can disable security. I am
wondering if I should in this situation. Or to turn the question around: is
there a significant benefit to turning security on here?

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
Hey Haohui,

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
Hey Haohui,