Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> on 2005/05/01 06:02:18 UTC

Releasing issues

Hi all,

I've been trying to release maven-ejb-plugin 1.6 (which is a requirement
for the upcoming Cactus 1.7.1), but been facing a lot of issues. I've
already managed to install the proper versions of site and scm plugins,
but now I got an error regarding JCE:

Deploying to repository: apache
JCE is required for an SSH based deployer
Please use JDK 1.4 or above, or install a JCE provider
A free (GPL) provider is available from Bouncycastle:
http://www.bouncycastle.org/
Failed to deploy to: apache Reason: JCE required

So, my question is: should I use JDK 1.4 (instead of JDK 1.3)? Or should
I keep JDK 1.3 for maximum compatibility and then set the crypto stuff?

Regardless of the answer, I think the procedure should be described at
the doc (http://maven.apache.org/developers/making-releases.html) - in
particular, that pages does not say anything about which JDK version to
use.

[]s,

-- Felipe

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 14:21 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Maven 1.1 will only support JDK 1.4. I say we bit the bullet all round.
> 1.3 has started EOL anyway.

I agree.

> You obviously got by - I see you got the JARs up to ibiblio.

The process stopped on the site uploading.

>  If you feel additions to the documentation is needed - go ahead and make them :)

I will pass this time - I'm really lacking the time for such task right
now.

> I have an additional problem with this release - I can't seem to find a
> vote on it.

That's right, there wasn't (see more below).

> I'm aware yourself and Vincent are probably the only ones
> working on it, because of Cactus' reliance on it, but I'm really trying

Kind of. Actually, just Vincent worked on 1.6 and Cargo doesn't depend
on it, it's Cactus who does (in fact, Cactus 1.7.1 depends on EJB 1.6
and Cargo 0.5).

> to push recently to open up development so that anyone interested can
> participate. Please vote next time around.

Ok, sorry. But I think the voting process for plugins has been fading
away. In fact, last time I did a release I asked the list about the
process and got this answer:

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 10:51 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

On the other hand, the http://maven.apache.org/developers/making-releases.html states a vote should be cast:

Q: Who decides when a plugin can be released?

A: The lead developer of a plugin has the responsibility for making sure
releases happen, but must first hold a vote on the Maven Developer list
before cutting the release. The vote should detail the changes made and
confirm that the testing has been performed and that there is no pending
work that should hold up the release.

So, long story short, the process is well defined, but we haven't been
careful about following it (hopefully we will after these last emails
thread :-).

[]s,

-- Felipe

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.
That's true ;-)

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.

RE: Releasing issues

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Brett,

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

RE: Releasing issues

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing issues

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Maven 1.1 will only support JDK 1.4. I say we bit the bullet all round.
1.3 has started EOL anyway.

You obviously got by - I see you got the JARs up to ibiblio. If you feel
additions to the documentation is needed - go ahead and make them :)

I have an additional problem with this release - I can't seem to find a
vote on it. I'm aware yourself and Vincent are probably the only ones
working on it, because of Cactus' reliance on it, but I'm really trying
to push recently to open up development so that anyone interested can
participate. Please vote next time around.

Thanks,
Brett