Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Vivien Barousse <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/08 16:23:44 UTC

Unexpected ArgumentException using 'IN' operator

Hi,

I'm having trouble using the IN operator in OpenJPA 1.2.1.

In my application, I have an entity named 'Entry', which has a many to
many relationship to itself on a 'parentEntries' field. Here is the
(simplified) code for this entity :

@Entity
public class Entry implements Serializable {

    @Id
    private Long id;

    @ManyToMany
    @JoinTable
    private List<Entry> parentEntries;

    /* ... getters and setters ... */

}

I'm trying to retrieve all entities which parentEntries contains any
given entry (passed as argument to my query). Here is the query:

SELECT entry FROM Entry AS entry, IN (entry.parentEntries) AS parent
WHERE parent = :entry

This query fails on execution, with an ArgumentException :
<openjpa-1.2.1-r752877:753278 nonfatal user error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: The parameter "entry"
is of type "com.aperigeek.jtentative.entity.Entry", but the declaration
in the query is for type "java.util.List"
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.QueryImpl.validateParameter(QueryImpl.java:287)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.QueryImpl.validateParameters(QueryImpl.java:274)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.QueryImpl.execute(QueryImpl.java:248)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.QueryImpl.getResultList(QueryImpl.java:294)

This query works fine with other persistence provider (the above code
has been successfully tested with Toplink).

Am I missing something here? I saw in an old bug report (#OPENJPA-190)
someone having the same difficulties.
Could this be an OpenJPA bug?

Vivien Barousse

Re: Unexpected ArgumentException using 'IN' operator

Posted by ynov <y....@gmail.com>.

Fay Wang wrote:

> Running against openjpa 1.2, I got the same error as you did. Apparently,
> this problem is fixed in the trunk code.

Hi, I'm using openjpa 1.2.1 version and I'm having problems with query
parameters validation, the exception looks pretty much close to the one that
is described here. As I can see, there was a fix for this problem in
revision 686905 in 1.2.x branch
(openjpa/branches/1.2.x/openjpa-persistence/src/main/java/org/apache/openjpa/persistence/QueryImpl.java,
validateParameters() method). But this fix was rolled back in revision
687120. What was the reason for rolling back this fix in 1.2.x, but it's
still present in 1.3.x?

Re: Unexpected ArgumentException using 'IN' operator

Posted by Fay Wang <fy...@yahoo.com>.
Running against openjpa 1.2, I got the same error as you did. Apparently, this problem is fixed in the trunk code.