Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2008/09/17 15:12:57 UTC

Getting started with Web Services

I am working on a small application that needs to grow, the right
solution is Web Services, but I don't know much about how to really
leverage them in an application.  The web server that is currently
being used is Apache and I would like to develop the WS in C++, so
AXIS seems like the most logical solution.  The problem I am facing is
a lack of understanding on how to really leverage WS.  I see all these
different WS-* specifications:

WS-Addressing
WS-Policy
WS-Security
WS-SecurityPolicy
WS-ReliableMessaging
WS-Eventing

And don't really understand how to glue them all together to develop
my application.  I am currently in version 1 and am looking to make
version 2 purely WS based.
What I am looking for is some resources that will better explain to me
how to actually leverage all these great WS specifications.

I know that WSO2 has some training, but I simply don't have the budget
for that right now, I am a one man shop that is working on this
program part time, it is more of a hobby then anything else.  So I am
looking for books, web sites, etc.

Sam Carleton
http://www.miltonstreet.com

Re: Getting started with Web Services

Posted by Rajika Kumarasiri <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Danushka Menikkumbura
<da...@wso2.com>wrote:

>  Looking on Amazon and B&N, the reviews are not all that impressive.
>> Have you read the book?

Sam,
In the mean time you can check how WS-* is used within Axis2/C to solve WS
scenarios. You can try samples in the distro, so you'll understand how WS-*
fits in the big picture.

-Rajika

http://wso2.org/
http://llvm.org/
http://www.osdev.org/

Re: Getting started with Web Services

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> ISBN:9781847192868

Senaka,

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> There is a book on Axis2 (Java) By Deepal Jayasinghe. Try that.

Senaka,

Do you have a source for this book?  Will I find it at Amazon?  If so,
might you have a ISBN number?

Sam