Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2006/03/14 04:50:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Dims created an Axis 1.4 final branch in early Dec at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/branches/AXIS_1_4_FINAL

There was a vote to release this that went through but the binaries
were never produced.  Geronimo, Jonas and others are using this code
and it would be great to see it made official.  I am volunteering as
Release Manager and would like to kicked this release out the door
before the month is through.

Here is my +1 for me as Release Manager and seeing 1.4 released this
month.

-David

Re: [RESULT] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
OK, +1 on releasing the branch as 1.4, then gearing up for 1.4.1 from
HEAD soon thereafter.  Go for it David!  Let us know if you need
anything, and thanks.

--Glen

Re: [RESULT] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:31 AM, Guillaume Sauthier wrote:

> Glen Daniels wrote:
>> Hi David!
>>
>> David Blevins wrote:
>>> Looks like there is more or less a consensus to release 1.4 final
>>> branch.  Going to get started on that then.
>>
>> Sounds good, though there have actually been some good fixes added
>> to the trunk since the 1.4 branch....  Considering we haven't done
>> the release yet, I'm doubting anyone is really using the 1.4
>> branch as a checkpoint as yet (?) - do you think it might be worth
>> merging the HEAD over to 1.4 before releasing?  I'd be +1 for
>> this, but even if not I'd like to see the HEAD go out as 1.4.1
>> pretty quickly....
> We (JOnAS team) are already shipping with that 1_4_FINAL version.
> (Are we alone to use that version, geronimo guys ?) So we would
> like to have an official release.
> We know that that version is ok in regards with JOnAS test suite
> (and TCK).

Right, Geronimo did the same thing.

-David

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 08:59 -0700, Tom Jordahl wrote:
> I think we have had this discussion.  Twice.  Ship 1.4, then we can ship
> the HEAD.  We voted.

+1 ..

Sanjiva.

RE: [RESULT] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
I think we have had this discussion.  Twice.  Ship 1.4, then we can ship
the HEAD.  We voted.

It takes a while to get a release done around here - enough so that
1.4.1 probably won't follow too hard on the heels of 1.4.  :-)

--
Tom Jordahl
Adobe

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org>.

Posted by Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com>.
On Mar 31, 2006, at 9:26 AM  March 31, Glen Daniels wrote:

> Sounds good, though there have actually been some good fixes added
> to the trunk since the 1.4 branch....  Considering we haven't done
> the release yet, I'm doubting anyone is really using the 1.4 branch
> as a checkpoint as yet (?) - do you think it might be worth merging
> the HEAD over to 1.4 before releasing?  I'd be +1 for this, but
> even if not I'd like to see the HEAD go out as 1.4.1 pretty
> quickly....

Glen,

I wrote up a summary of major changes between 1.4-FINAL and the trunk
a couple of weeks ago -- if it would be helpful I'd be happy to
resend it offlist. Let me know. I got the impression that most people
wanted to release 1.4-FINAL right now, without any changes, and worry
about 1.4.1 later.

Thanks,
Bjorn

Re: [RESULT] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 31, 2006, at 9:26 AM, Glen Daniels wrote:

> Hi David!
>
> David Blevins wrote:
>> Looks like there is more or less a consensus to release 1.4 final
>> branch.  Going to get started on that then.
>
> Sounds good, though there have actually been some good fixes added
> to the trunk since the 1.4 branch....  Considering we haven't done
> the release yet, I'm doubting anyone is really using the 1.4 branch
> as a checkpoint as yet (?) - do you think it might be worth merging
> the HEAD over to 1.4 before releasing?  I'd be +1 for this, but
> even if not I'd like to see the HEAD go out as 1.4.1 pretty
> quickly....

I'm happy to work on releasing either the existing 1.4 branch or a
new one made from trunk.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi David!

Posted by Franz Fehringer <fe...@isogmbh.de>.
Will there also be a release (1.4.1?) from the trunk?

Greetings

Franz

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Axis 1.4 final branch

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me. +1 to backport whatever needed at the discretion of the
Release Manager.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
+1 to release 1.4 as it stands.  +0 to backport memory leak patch.

--
Tom Jordahl
Adobe ColdFusion Team

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 15, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 19:50 -0800, David Blevins wrote:
>> Dims created an Axis 1.4 final branch in early Dec at:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/branches/
>> AXIS_1_4_FINAL
>>
>> There was a vote to release this that went through but the binaries
>> were never produced.  Geronimo, Jonas and others are using this code
>> and it would be great to see it made official.  I am volunteering as
>> Release Manager and would like to kicked this release out the door
>> before the month is through.
>>
>> Here is my +1 for me as Release Manager and seeing 1.4 released this
>> month.
>
> Isn't it a bit weird to release a branch from December in March? I
> know
> the situation is weird but it feels a bit wrong to me :(.
>
> Or maybe not.

Whatever is fine with me.  This is where the discussion happened:

Thread 1
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-dev@ws.apache.org/msg14431.html

Sub-thread 2
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-dev@ws.apache.org/msg14438.html

Read those and follow up.  As I say, I'm fine with whatever as long
as there is any sort of logical reason and people more or less agree.

Thanks,

Posted by rmkellogg <rm...@comcast.net>.
At least a known distribution would have a name.  That would be the only
real advantage.  Our next release could be 1.4.1 or something along those
lines.

Rick Kellogg

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Excellent.

I'll hook up with you on IRC and see what else we need to do to
button this up.

Thanks,
David

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.