Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/27 01:53:56 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Support the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN datatype.

On 8/10/05, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> I propose to close bug 499 by re-enabling the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN
> datatype which was disabled before IBM  open-sourced Derby.

Hi Rick,

I was in the midst of updating the STATUS file and noticed you never
closed this vote. It's a little past August 11, but I suppose it's
never too late to post the [RESULT]. :-)

andrew

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Support the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN datatype.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 10/27/05, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:

> Please find attached a patch file which records this fact in STATUS.txt.
> I also recorded there the results for the "Require JUnit jar to build
> Derby" vote. Could a committer please check this in?

Thanks, Rick!

I have some other edits to STATUS going in shortly, I'll make sure
these are a part of that update.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
And here is the threatened patch.

Cheers,
-Rick

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks for noticing this. I have recorded the vote results on the
>> wiki: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VoteResults. I hope you don't
>> mind my using the wiki as the medium to publish these results.
>

> Yes, I do. The wiki is not an official medium for communication. If  you
> call for a vote then you should post the result of that vote to  the list.

Right, the e-mail list requires a [RESULT][VOTE] post that declares the
result of the vote.

The wiki can be a great place to summarise those votes and provide links
to the threads, but in no way is the official result declared on the wiki.

So currently http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VoteResults is wrong
because it says the vote for BOOLEAN was closed on 27th Oct 2005, but
that's not (yet) the case.

Dan.

Re: [VOTE] Support the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN datatype.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 27, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for noticing this. I have recorded the vote results on the
> wiki: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VoteResults. I hope you don't
> mind my using the wiki as the medium to publish these results.

Yes, I do. The wiki is not an official medium for communication. If
you call for a vote then you should post the result of that vote to
the list.

> As Dan points out, the official record is really the email archive.
> I prefer the wiki to the STATUS file because the wiki exposes
> information on the web rather than tucking facts away inside the
> code tree.

See http://db.apache.org/source.html specifically the section titled
"Status Files". The status file is the official place for project
status because it is source controlled. The wiki isn't official
because anyone can come along and munge it, and the source for the
wikis, while versioned, is not source controlled and the contents are
not guaranteed to be able to be restored from backup. The mere
existence of the wiki is a controversial subject among the members of
the Apache infrastructure team. Be glad we have it at all.

Patches to the STATUS file are always welcome, from anyone. The
status file is viewable on the web at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
db/derby/code/trunk/STATUS

> For the record, the polls are closed on this vote.

Then please post the result to the list to make it official.

andrew

Re: [VOTE] Support the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN datatype.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for noticing this. I have recorded the vote results on the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VoteResults. I hope you don't mind my
using the wiki as the medium to publish these results. As Dan points