Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Houston Putman <ho...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/05 19:16:49 UTC

[Docker] Full migration to apache/solr-docker

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to announce that the official Solr Docker image maintenance has
been fully migrated to apache/solr-docker
<https://github.com/apache/solr-docker> from docker-solr/docker-solr
<https://github.com/docker-solr/docker-solr>.

The 8.11 Docker image (currently 8.11.2) will be maintained from the
apache/solr-docker <https://github.com/apache/solr-docker> repository,
until it is no longer supported (when Solr 10.0 is released). We will
manually update the "8.11" and "8.11-slim" image for future 8.11.x patch
releases, and whenever a vulnerability or change is required.

The 9.0+ Docker images have been managed via the Solr repo in the
/solr/docker directory. These are added to apache/solr-docker
<https://github.com/apache/solr-docker> during the release process, but
afterwards we have very little intention of ever updating them. As they are
a "part of the release", though unofficially, we treat them as close to
release artifacts as possible.

If you have any questions on how the apache/solr-docker
<https://github.com/apache/solr-docker> repository works, you can find more
information in its "dev-docs" folder.

The docker-solr/docker-solr <https://github.com/docker-solr/docker-solr>
repository has been archived so it cannot be updated and Issues/PRs cannot
be created. We will keep it around so that users have the dockerfiles
available for older versions of Solr to build themselves, and so we can
point users to the correct locations to look for Solr Docker information.

I think we can now consider the whole Solr Docker migration complete!
Thanks for everyone's hard work on this 2-year long project.

- Houston

Re: [Docker] Full migration to apache/solr-docker

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the update, and for your work on this!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley