Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2009/12/04 19:06:21 UTC

Status of 0-10 in Java Broker

Hi Rob,

Just wondered what the state was of the 0-10 implementation on the Java broker.

I see that there are quite a few todo's still in the code base. Do you
think it is ready to be the default protocol for 0.6?

Things that concern me are the:
 inability to view/manage messages via the console.
 inability to replyTo messages sent from a 0-10 client by an older
protocol client.
 lack of 0-10 connection logging.

Martin
--
Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Status of 0-10 in Java Broker

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
>> Things that concern me are the:
>>  inability to view/manage messages via the console.
>>

> Agreed this would be desirable, though I made the decision that I would
> leave JMX support of 0-10 to post 0.6 releases.  In particular I want to
> explore how we do our management a little more with a view to more closely
> aligning with the QMF mechanism used by the C++ broker.  Long term  we want
> to be able to use a single toolset to manage the Java and C++ brokers

Yes having the same management framework for both brokers would be a
huge win for us.
There is a decent set of tools for QMF within and outside of Qpid.
It would be nice to see if the Java Broker could leverage them.
On the same token the eclipse plugging and the JMX based tools on the
Java project could be used to manage the c++ broker.
A unified management strategy for our brokers augers well with the
whole AMQP story.

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin

2009/12/4 Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>

> Hi Rob,
>
> Just wondered what the state was of the 0-10 implementation on the Java
> broker.
>
> I see that there are quite a few todo's still in the code base. Do you
> think it is ready to be the default protocol for 0.6?

I think the quality of the code is appropriate for a release labeled "0.6"
;-)

> Things that concern me are the:
>  inability to view/manage messages via the console.

Agreed this would be desirable, though I made the decision that I would
leave JMX support of 0-10 to post 0.6 releases.  In particular I want to
explore how we do our management a little more with a view to more closely
aligning with the QMF mechanism used by the C++ broker.  Long term  we want
to be able to use a single toolset to manage the Java and C++ brokers

>  inability to replyTo messages sent from a 0-10 client by an older
> protocol client.

The problem with ReplyTo conversion is that ReplyTo is not defined in AMQP
0-8/0-9/0-9-1 ... Qpid/Java has defined a (number of) reply-to format(s)
however they are not adopted elsewhere so on a strict AMQP recoding we
cannot interpret reply-to. What the broker would need to do is recognize the
reply-to format in use and the recode that... this will probably require
some lookup based on the client that initiated the connection... something I
didn't have time for for 0.6.  I definitely don;t believe this is a blocker
however.

>  lack of 0-10 connection logging.

The new logging code was developed at the same time as I was implementing
the 0-10 stuff and so when I was developing I didn't have a pattern to
copy... once I was ready to commit the new logging was in but I no longer
had time to integrate it.  I see the fact that the 0-10 connection doesn't
use the new logging as unfortunate, but not a blocker... I would certainly
like it in there... but haven't yet had a chance to try to implement it (all
my free time currently being sucked up in doing AMQP 1-0 work elsewhere).
Given the logging is also new, I don't see the lack of it in the 0-10 side
as a blocker for 0.6 ... I would certainly like to see more consistency for
the next release.

Overall my view on the 0-10 implementation in the Java Broker is that it is
probably of "Beta" quality right now.  It passes our tests, but clearly has
not been running in anger anywhere yet.  It is relatively easy to include or
exclude 0-10 on a per port basis... If it were me using it, if I were
starting a new project I would use the 0-10 implementation... if I had an
existing application in production then I might stick to using the 0-9
protocol through the Java Broker at this time.

Cheers,
Rob