Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by millerj <mi...@mail.monkeydisaster.net> on 2005/11/21 21:48:54 UTC

pretty print and preserving whitespace inside element

Hello,

I am in a bit of a bind and the documentation/information surrounding XMLBeans sometimes leaves me at a bit of a loss, like right now.

We have been using XMLBeans in production code for two full years now without any major hiccups.
We have been utilizing pretty print as the receiver of the XML document requriers that any given line in an XML document is not greater then 4000 characters. To solve this we use pretty print with indent of 0 characters.

now we have a problem where a specific XML element can contain a string of only white space (specifically "  ") when data for the element is not present.

pretty print then takes that valid string ("  ") and trashes it!
<elementName>  </elementName> -- non pretty-print version
<elementName/>                -- pretty-print version

this is unacceptable for our implementation and I am at a loss for how to stop pretty-print some taking our valid data (inside a valid element) and manipulating it.

my question is, is there a XMLOption for controlling this? is there a valid work around for this?
the bugzilla for XMLBeans has some related bugs all of which say they won't be fixed and pretty print shouldn't be used. we need to use it unless there is a way to format the doc without pretty print?

thanks,
Jonathan Miller