Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> on 2014/07/25 19:29:44 UTC

Upgrading to Jetty 9

Hi,

there is an issue that deals with upgrading jetty to 9.x [0]. As it
requires java 7, it is not a trivial update. basically the question
is:

- create 2 bundles: org.apache.felix.http.[jetty8|jetty9]
- or update the maven artifact version to 3.0.0 (from 2.4.x)

I would tend to the later....
regards, toby

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4550

Re: Upgrading to Jetty 9

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

> If possible, I'd rather create two artifacts from the same project, if at
> all possible: One embedding Jetty 8 (supporting Java 6) and one embedding
> Jetty 9 (requiring Java 7).

Yes, that's my preference as well and afaik that's what we are currently
trying to go with.
Matter of fact is that we have many users with Java 6 out there - and we
definitely don't want to loose them.

Carsten

WDYT ?

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: Upgrading to Jetty 9

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
We just started a fairly significant chunk of work which would give us
time to try-out an early/new version of the HTTP Service around Jetty 9.
So I'd be happy to see an approach that lets us add one to the
repository, especially if the previous version is there for those who
need it (and us of course if we find the change too big!)

-- Rob

Ascert - Taking systems to the edge
robw@ascert.com
SA +27 21 300 2028
UK +44 20 7488 3470 ext 5119
www.ascert.com

Re: Upgrading to Jetty 9

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I don't have much voting power here....but I'm agree with chetan.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Chetan Mehrotra
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Couple of points wrt Jetty 9 upgrade changes
>
> - Jetty9 API Changes - Jetty 9 API has changed significantly from 8.x
> hence it would not be possible to create two jars from same project
> - Java 7 requirement - Jetty 9 requires Java 7 for compilation
>
> Given that changing the symbolic name would cause extra work for users
> when upgrading the HTTP bundle it would be helpful to retain the
> bundle symbolic name. Based on suggestions above I think we can do
> following
>
> - Branch the current code in jetty module [1] at same level say
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/http/jetty9. So kind of
> branching but instead of branching to felix/branches we branch
> locally. Otherwise we can also create a branch at [2].
so: cp -R trunk/http/jetty trunk/http/jetty9;

+1 for that

> - Retain the Bundle-SymbolicName but bump the major version to 3.0.x
+1

> - Future releases from current jetty module would stick to 2.x series
> while from Jetty9 would be 3.x series
+1

> - Changes other than those in jetty and itest module can be done in
> compatible way. So those module should be able to work with both
> Jetty8 and Jetty9
+1

> If we have an agreement there I can rework the patch in FELIX-4550
thanks for driving this forward.
regards, toby

Re: Upgrading to Jetty 9

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.