Posted to community@apache.org by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org> on 2003/01/29 15:50:25 UTC

[poll] weblog package on apache.org

Let's (re)start the poll here since it's the commiters list
was innapropriate ;(

Subject: weblog package on apache.org

The goal of this poll is to get commiters feedback on
having a weblog package on apache.org.

The basic idea is to provide ASF commiters a tool which
could be used to expose their 'ASF related' works, ideas,
notes using a common ASF Look&Feel.

Questions :

- Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
   where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

- Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
   jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?

- Which packages/products are good candidates, having licence
   without apache members/commiters contestations ?

Comments welcomed.

Regards

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Let's (re)start the poll here since it's the commiters list
> was innapropriate ;(

Sure thing ;)

> Subject: weblog package on apache.org
>
> The goal of this poll is to get commiters feedback on
> having a weblog package on apache.org.
>
> The basic idea is to provide ASF commiters a tool which
> could be used to expose their 'ASF related' works, ideas,
> notes using a common ASF Look&Feel.
>
> Questions :
>
> - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
>   where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

Committers? Not tied to a specific project? Nope (in terms of -1)

Is there a need for blogsoft for project teams posting notes of their
progress? Maybe. Should posting be restricted to PMC members? Nope, the
usual 'oversight' should suffice as it is with code commits.

> - Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
>   jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?

Let's start with Q1 and see where we get.

> - Which packages/products are good candidates, having licence
>   without apache members/commiters contestations ?

Ditto.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to David N. Welton:

> "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> writes:
>
> > > - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
> > >    where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?
>
> -1
>
> > A blog (in the context it's being pushed now) is (IMHO) really just
> > another outlet for news on a project that should be readily
> > available elsewhere - which is an issue and a failing that has been
> > identified before and one that the reorg@ list discussed at length
> > before this whole community thing came into being.
>
> Agreed.

-1 Seconded.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                             - Unix...
lars@hyperreal.org               - Life is to short for reboots.

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Reid wrote:
[...]
> I wish people would stop doing this...
>
> Nicola - while I appreciate your wish to push your project (don't we all)
> what you're talking about and what I was talking about are totally
> different!

The project in itself has nothing to do with it. I'm just saying that
there are possibilities to solve a need with a different solution.

Solutions tend to be in conflict.
Needs seldom are, if ever.
What is the *need* that projects have for blogs?

I was trying to say that I'm thinking of solving what I percieve as the
need in a different way.

Not a "do we want blog software", but a "how to make projects fulfill
the needs they think blog software will placate".

> I'm not really sure how you made the jump from my statements to where you
> ended up either...

<David Reid wrote>
I agree that providing a forum where news can be made available for
projects in an easier to find location is a good thing and soemthing we
should aim to provide,
</David Reid wrote>

<I replied>
Forrest already gives the changes of the projects also as an RSS feed,
that is the pivot of syndication, the blood of all blogs.
I'm going to add soon a news.xml file so that projects can add news
items for themselves and have them come out as RSS feeds.
</I replied>

RSS feeds are IMHO the first step in provifing an aggregated view of
project news.

It's a trivial thing to do actually, just a simple xsl stylesheet.
Anyone can put it in their favorite site publishing tool.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 07:07  AM, David Reid wrote:
> > I agree that providing a forum where news can be made available for
> > projects
> > in an easier to find location is a good thing and soemthing we should
> > aim to
> > provide, but I'm totally opposed to blogs or wiki as the medium to
> > fulfil
> > this need.
>
> Isn't that just the <news> link from a project's webpage? A blog hints
> at something totally subjective, not something like official newsworthy
> events.
>
> I agree with David here.

News is a weak thing to put on blogs. To me, the perfect place for a blog
on a project woould be to provide a public place to state decisions made
by the project. These are effectively small pieces of news, ie:

+++ Commons Collections Blog +++
Scope for 3.0 decided upon:

Jakarta Commons Collections decided that it would include the much debated
Apache JList component for SWT programming in its forthcoming 3.0 release.
Here are links to the 7 months of interesting discourse.
+++

Hen

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 07:07  AM, David Reid wrote:
> I agree that providing a forum where news can be made available for
> projects
> in an easier to find location is a good thing and soemthing we should
> aim to
> provide, but I'm totally opposed to blogs or wiki as the medium to
> fulfil
> this need.

Isn't that just the <news> link from a project's webpage? A blog hints
at something totally subjective, not something like official newsworthy
events.

I agree with David here.

-aaron

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 07:07 US/Pacific, David Reid wrote:

> A blog (in the context it's being pushed now) is (IMHO) really just
> another
> outlet for news on a project that should be readily available
> elsewhere -
> which is an issue and a failing that has been identified before and
> one that
> the reorg@ list discussed at length before this whole community thing
> came
> into being.

It would be nice to have a blog-like CMS (like MT or Blosxom or what
not) backending the news production so that RSS feeds and the like
would automatically be there.

There's also some exploration in "shared blogs" serving as a
discussion/collaboration forum. But seeing how well the wiki seems to
be generating controversy, I'm not sure it's a good time/place for such
an experiment here at Apache.

But, for personal blog use—independent space is easy to set up and use
for blogs of a personal nature. I don't see the need to host blogs of
the style of mine, or Sam's or Erik's or any of a dozen others of us.
Therefore, I don't see the need to burden the ASF's resources with
blogs of this nature.

>> - Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
>>    jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?
>
> Erm, unless I've missed something shouldn't this be a decision once we
> have
> decided the above question? This sort of question on a poll could be
> viewed
> as leading...

Dozens of solutions. Definitely a second order question.

James Duncan Davidson
Coder, Speaker, Author
http://x180.net/
[life live];

Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> Questions :
>
> - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
>    where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

No. If a project wants a blog there are plenty of places where they can host
one without the ASF needing to do it. The ASF is not an organisation that
deals with hosting and nor should we become one for anything other than
essential services for developing software.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Henri Gomez wrote:

> - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
>    where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

+1
I don't think it is a "need" - but it would be a good idea.
I know there are free or cheap hosting sites - but the point
is to have access to the software.

I think there is a (pretty strong ) need to agregate the blogs on
apache.

> - Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
>    jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?

Anything that works. I would be fine with Python or Perl.

> - Which packages/products are good candidates, having licence
>    without apache members/commiters contestations ?

Don't know.

Costin

RE: [poll] weblog package on apache.org

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@mvdb.net>.

> Questions :
>
> - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
>    where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

+1.

> - Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
>    jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?

As long as it works.

> - Which packages/products are good candidates, having licence
>    without apache members/commiters contestations ?

Probably should figure out first what the functionality should be (eg
security wise)

Mvgr,
Martin