Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Christopher Brind <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2010/01/25 21:07:21 UTC

Re: osgi uk users forum

Well Pivot can run in a web browser via it's Java Applet wrapper or on the
desktop (launchable via JNLP for instance), or both if you really fancied!
 In both cases it requires Java 6.

One deployment scenario is to develop the application and simply wrap it all
up in a bundle, then register those resources with the HttpService.  Pivot
has an API for performing REST operations against the server, but at the end
of the day "it's just Java"™ ;-)  so you could do any style of remoting you
wish.

CC'd user@pivot.apache.org for interest/discussion.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: osgi uk users forum

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Chris,

The current ACE client is a bit "thicker" than just a UI talking over REST to a backend. Actually, it was designed to be able to work off-line, so it contains some OSGi bundles that contain that client side logic. The current web application runs those client bundles on the server side, which is possible because each of those bundles acts like a service factory, producing one service instance per browser session (whose life cycle is actually directly dictated by the HttpSession they belong to).

Moving that to Pivot would allow us to deploy the client side bundles on the client again, that's why I asked about using Pivot with OSGi. Sounds like it would not be too difficult to do. The remoting we use is actually already REST based, and included in the client bundles.

Greetings, Marcel