Posted to bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/06/12 17:21:22 UTC

Any plans for a BCEL 5.3 release?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if there are any plans for a 5.3 release in the near
future?  I am working on Apache Harmony and currently using BCEL 5.2 to
develop pack200, but I would really like to upgrade so that I can use the
Java 5 attribute classes that are missing in 5.2.  However the preferred
route in Harmony would be to take a released version if at all possible (or
at least a release candidate).  I noticed in the mail archive that there was
talk of producing a release candidate in January or February of this year,
but I can't see anything on the download page, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Sian January

--
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Any plans for a BCEL 5.3 release?

Posted by Matthew Wilson <mj...@googlemail.com>.
2008/6/16 Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>:
> Is there also a backwards compatability issue with implementors of Visitor
> needing to add some new methods?
>

> On 13/06/2008, Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> A potential open issue is that existing user code might be expecting to
>> process 'unknown' attributes, that are now coming in as first class
>> annotations. Therefore that client code will fail until changes are made. I
>> meant to look into this, to see if this was indeed true but haven't gotten
>> to it yet. As long as we document this, i guess it's ok, although maybe
>> folks will be surprised about this change in a point release, i don't know.
>>
>> --dave

I think that there has to be some scope for some API changes that will
break existing code, especially when the visitor pattern has been
applied.  In my (limited) experience, most clients extend EmptyVisitor
-- hence they should be protected from the additional method(s) on
Visitor.

I can't really see any other way, apart from doing the same thing that
Sun did with LayoutManager and LayoutManager2 (ouch).  In that case,
we'd have to have the Visitor interface as it is now, and then have a
Visitor2 (or something like that) interface.  I can't see that being a
maintainable path.

If a client cannot change the code that uses BCEL, then it would make
sense for that client to stay with v5.2.

On a different topic, I've found an issue with MethodGen.  I've raised
it as bug #45217.  Apologies for the missing description: something
very strange happened as I was typing the summary and description, and
somehow I managed to raise a blank bug report with the summary "L" :-/
 I've updated the summary and added a comment that gives the
description.

Kind regards,
Matthew

Re: Any plans for a BCEL 5.3 release?

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.
Yes

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Sian January wrote:

> I am a committer and on the PMC for Harmony, although FYI - it's "she" not
> "he" :-)

Ouch :( Good to know that there are more women at Apache than I thougth ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Any plans for a BCEL 5.3 release?

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
For Harmony there isn't a particular target date for a full release yet,
although M7 will be in about 2 months.  However the code I'm writing at the
moment is being committed incrementally, so the sooner the better from my
point of view so that I can write the code that needs the new BCEL APIs.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
Hi All,

Torsten is the person who is most involved in BCEL maintenance. But it
appears that he's not around at the moment. Hopefully he will pop up
sometime soon.

There was an attempt to get a BCEL release out, but there wasn't
sufficient interest, particularly from testers. So nothing happened.

BCEL isn't quite dead, but is very quiet. Torsten is the only person who
actually reviews and commits patches. I should also be doing it, but am
rather overloaded at the moment. So for people who are interested in
seeing some activity in BCEL, I suggest sending an email to the list
every week or two, just in case it pushes somebody into action. However
without an Apache committer who has time to review and commit patches
there isn't a whole lot of point in spending a lot of your time on this.

Regards,
Simon

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Wilson <mj...@googlemail.com>.