Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/27 22:54:35 UTC

BSF 3.0 release?

Is there any interest in releasing a non-Beta 3.0 version of BSF?

I'd like to update JMeter to use BSF 3, and would prefer to ship it
with a non-Beta release if possible.

There don't seem to be any outstanding JIRA bugs for 3.0.

I found a minor problem with the Main class (throws NPE rather than
reporting that it cannot find a language implementation) which I will
fix shortly.

I also think it would be useful to add the Main class to the manifest
so one can execute the jar directly.

Any thoughts?

Re: BSF 3.0 release?

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote:
> On 28/07/2009, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2009, Rony G. Flatscher <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
>>  > Hi Sebb,
>>

>> I found I had already fixed it; but it missed the last release.
>>
>>  There is another problem, which is that the -lang option says it takes
>>  the language as a value; however it actually requires the extension.
>>
>>  I'd like to correct this, and add an option to use the short language
>>  name (e.g. jython).
>>
>>  Ideally I'd like to
>>  rename -lang to -ext and
>>  add -lang to mean shortLanguage
>>

> I've committed this change, and also added a -show option.

+1

Whenever you feel to kick off a release, please do so!

Regards,

----rony

Re: BSF 3.0 release?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28/07/2009, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/07/2009, Rony G. Flatscher <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
>  > Hi Sebb,
>  >
>  >
>  >  sebb wrote:
>  >  > Is there any interest in releasing a non-Beta 3.0 version of BSF?
>  >  >
>  >  > I'd like to update JMeter to use BSF 3, and would prefer to ship it
>  >  > with a non-Beta release if possible.
>  >  >
>  >  > There don't seem to be any outstanding JIRA bugs for 3.0.
>  >  >
>  >  > I found a minor problem with the Main class (throws NPE rather than
>  >  > reporting that it cannot find a language implementation) which I will
>  >  > fix shortly.
>

> I found I had already fixed it; but it missed the last release.
>
>  There is another problem, which is that the -lang option says it takes
>  the language as a value; however it actually requires the extension.
>
>  I'd like to correct this, and add an option to use the short language
>  name (e.g. jython).
>
>  Ideally I'd like to
>  rename -lang to -ext and
>  add -lang to mean shortLanguage

I've committed this change, and also added a -show option.

>  This would only affect the utility main class, but would potentially
>  break some scripts.
>
>  As there has yet to be a formal release, perhaps this does not matter?
>

>  >  > I also think it would be useful to add the Main class to the manifest
>  >  > so one can execute the jar directly.

Tried this, but it does not help as additional jars are needed (-jar
overrides classpath).

>  >  >
>  >  > Any thoughts?
>  >  >
>  >
>  > Well, I guess it would be o.k. to go for a release as it psychologically
>  >  might make a differences.

In fact I found (and fixed) a bug in one of the javax classes, so it
would be useful to do another release at some point.

Re: BSF 3.0 release?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: BSF 3.0 release?

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.