Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/19 20:57:47 UTC

WebWork 2 podling IP clearance questions

I'd like to get the WebWork 2 podling out of incubation and into Struts, but
I have some questions to help determine if the requirements have been met.

 1. Does all Java code have to use the ASF copyright header?  We have some
files that have a "NanoContainer Organization" copyright, with an
ASF-derived license following.

 2. We also have a Javascript file with this strange header:
// Author: Matt Kruse <ma...@mattkruse.com>
// WWW: http://www.mattkruse.com/
//
// NOTICE: You may use this code for any purpose, commercial or
// private, without any further permission from the author. You may
// remove this notice from your final code if you wish, however it is
// appreciated by the author if at least my web site address is kept.
//
// You may *NOT* re-distribute this code in any way except through its
// use. That means, you can include it in your product, or your web
// site, or any other form where the code is actually being used. You
// may not put the plain javascript up on your site for download or
// include it in your javascript libraries for download.
// If you wish to share this code with others, please just point them
// to the URL instead.
// Please DO NOT link directly to my .js files from your site. Copy
// the files to your server and use them there. Thank you.
How should we handle this?

 3. The rest of the code had an OpenSymphony copyright, and they have faxed
over a code grant, so the ASF license header has been applied throughout.
Save the above issues, is that all we need to do to clear the IP?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Re: WebWork 2 podling IP clearance questions

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/06, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:

> This is obviously not an open source license (eg strange limitations on
> redistribution, no license to create derivative works, bla bla). We
> obviously want to share this code with others under the terms of an open
> source license. So you should contact the author to have him relicense
> under a proper open source license or execute a code grant, or replace the
> file with something else.

Done, thanks.

>  3. The rest of the code had an OpenSymphony copyright, and they have
> faxed
> > over a code grant, so the ASF license header has been applied
> throughout.
> > Save the above issues, is that all we need to do to clear the IP?
>
> I somehow doubt that OpenSymphony has gotten copyright assignment for all
> of
> the code hosted there (is it even a legal entity? The website sure is a
> bit
> sketchy on that). Thus, I think all individuals with significant
> copyrights on
> the webwork code need to sign a code grant.

The only copyright on the files was the OpenSymphony Corporation (if you
exclude "Your Corporation, Inc") :)

If anyone donated code to OpenSymphony and expected to keep their copyright,
then their copyright should be in the code.  Otherwise, how could anyone be
expected to know there was another copyright on the code?

Don

Do make sure to track this kind of stuff in your status file...

cheers,

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
IANAL. I played one on stage once, but it wasn't much of a success.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:57:47AM -0700, Don Brown wrote:
> I'd like to get the WebWork 2 podling out of incubation and into Struts, but
> I have some questions to help determine if the requirements have been met.
>
>  1. Does all Java code have to use the ASF copyright header?  We have some
> files that have a "NanoContainer Organization" copyright, with an
> ASF-derived license following.

I think the policy is to keep the headers and add our own. The "nanocontainer
organisation is not a legal entity, but that source code can be easily traced
back to the codehaus and its legal history is also without doubt.