Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "NG-Marketing, Matthias Schneider" <sc...@ng-marketing.com> on 2006/09/17 21:16:15 UTC

java.lang.NullPointerException

Hello List,

i installed nutch 0.8 and i can fetch and index documents, but I can not
search them. I get the following error:

StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at
org.apache.nutch.searcher.LuceneQueryOptimizer$LimitedCollector.<init>(Lucen
eQueryOptimizer.java:108)

        at
org.apache.nutch.searcher.LuceneQueryOptimizer.optimize(LuceneQueryOptimizer
.java:244)

        at
org.apache.nutch.searcher.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:95)

        at org.apache.nutch.searcher.NutchBean.search(NutchBean.java:249)

        at org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:255)

        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
24)

        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)

        at
FilterChain.java:237)

        at
ain.java:157)

        at
va:214)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:104)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContext
Valve.java:198)

        at
va:152)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:104)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137
)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:104)

        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117
)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:102)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

        at
:109)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:104)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)

        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)

        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:300)

        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:374)

        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:743)

        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:675)

        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:866)

        at
a:683)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

PLEASE HELP

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
On 9/18/06, NG-Marketing, M.Schneider <sc...@ng-marketing.com> wrote:
> I figured it out. I used in my nutch-site.xml the following config
>
> <property>
>   <name>searcher.max.hits</name>
>   <value>2048</value>
>
> If I change the value to nothing "" it works all fine.  It took me a couple
> of hours to figure it out. This might be a bug.

Is the specific value (2048) a problem or does nutch throw a NPE
regardless of the value you use?

t.n.a.

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
NG-Marketing, M.Schneider wrote:
> I figured it out. I used in my nutch-site.xml the following config
>
> <property>
>   <name>searcher.max.hits</name>
>   <value>2048</value>
>
> If I change the value to nothing "" it works all fine.  It took me a couple
> of hours to figure it out. This might be a bug.

This was a bug in LuceneQueryOptimizer.LimitedCollector - I fixed it now
in rev.  447359 (in branch-0.8) and in rev. 447363 (in trunk).

NOTE: you should NEVER use "searcher.max.hits" if you didn't run
IndexSorter on your index! If you use this setting and you run a
non-optimized index, then you will get random-quality results, because
after collecting that many hits (no matter if they are high- or
low-scoring) the searcher will stop collecting. In a sorted index, you
are more or less guaranteed to get highly-scoring hits first, so this
makes sense; but in a regular non-sorted index scores are distributed
randomly.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><