Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2007/04/16 22:45:30 UTC

[users@httpd] apostrophe character reference

Hi folks,

I'm having a little trouble understanding something and I hope you
will be able to help. I have a band with some albums that we've made
available in mp3 format for free online.

Webjay.org allows us to distribute the music through their site [see
http://webjay.org/by/chupacerveza/thebentones--beeronthetracks for an
example].

The problem is that the songs containing apostrophes only work when
playing them directly with the "URI link" link (from the Webjay site).
When playing them through the "Play this page" link those songs
produce 404 errors.

I've already determined that a difference between these methods is
that Webjay's software replaces the apostrophes with &#39; when using
the "Play this page" link but the direct link does not.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, perhaps it is the wrong
character entity reference or it ought to be &#0039;, or perhaps my
server needs to be configured, or a combination of these.

Do you have suggestions or ideas that may help?

Thank you!
Robert

Re: [users@httpd] URL escape characters [was: Re: apostrophe character reference?]

Posted by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Ach! Thank you!

Posted by Je...@manerf.com.

Posted by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Dragon wrote:
> Posting a question to a list like this is a crap shoot. Sometimes you
> win and sometimes you don't.

Hi Dragon,

It looks like this is a bug in the WebJay playlists and is being
worked on by their admins (which also explains the silence here).

I would however like to know if anyone knows of a *list* of the escape
characters used in URLs (like %20 to indicate a space character or
%7E--I think it is--for the tilde character, for instance).

Again, any pointers are appreciated,
Robert

Re: [users@httpd] Re: apostrophe character reference?

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
Robert T Wyatt wrote:
>I've received no responses to this inquiry and am a little surprised
>that no one here has any idea of what the problem may be. Perhaps spam
>filters picked it up?
>
>Any help is appreciated.

I saw the post and had nothing to contribute, thus I did not reply.
It could simply be that the same is true of other list members.

Or it could be that the person who knows the answer has not checked
the list posts yet. I should probably also point out that the people
who frequent lists for open source software are very often doing so
on their own time and very often such lists take a low priority for many.

Posting a question to a list like this is a crap shoot. Sometimes you
win and sometimes you don't.

Dragon

[users@httpd] Re: apostrophe character reference?

Posted by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu>.
I've received no responses to this inquiry and am a little surprised
that no one here has any idea of what the problem may be. Perhaps spam
filters picked it up?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Robert