Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> on 2009/05/20 01:22:56 UTC

t5: printing?

Hi,

This might not be related to tapestry 5, just a quick question: need to
provide a way to print a receipt in my t5 app, any idea how to achieve this?
thanks.

Angelo

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Tue, 19 May 2009 20:22:56 -0300, Angelo Chen
<an...@yahoo.com.hk> escreveu:

> Hi,

Hi!

> This might not be related to tapestry 5, just a quick question: need to
> provide a way to print a receipt in my t5 app, any idea how to achieve
> this? thanks.

What about some Javascript (window.print()) and CSS Print?

Some pointers:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
http://www.w3.org/TR/css-print/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/boom

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
I also like Dynamic Jasper, mostly because I find procedurally
generated reports less fragile than using templates.  It does a decent
job and gets the info into the user's hands, and is easier than
straight Jasper Reports.  Also I use the same algorithm to generate
PDF and XLS reports (Dynamic Jasper uses JR underneath).

Most of the solutions I looked into used iText directly or indirectly.

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Angelo Chen
<an...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> Hi Thiago,

Hi!

> maybe if we can force
> the user to use IE then an activeX loaded in IE might solve this problem.

Please do not do that. ActiveX is a very bad idea, specially about
browser security, and forcing your web application users to use one
single browser (and the worst one, by far) is a bad choice. Is asking
for the user to click the OK button a print dialog too much? By the
way, I don't think a web application is the best choice for something
that needs direct hardware access.

--
Thiago

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
it is also possible to print PDFs non-interactive via adobe reader.
with regards
Sven Homburg
Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
http://www.chenillekit.org

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Why not generating a PDF using something like iText ?
In this way there would be no platform dependence ?

Angelo Chen ha scritto:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> You are right about this printing option in a web app. printing is often
> needed in an ERP like app, say, we might make an POS using tapestry5, it
> looks very possible except the printing of invoices, maybe if we can force
> the user to use IE then an activeX loaded in IE might solve this problem.
>
> Angelo
>

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> hi,
>>>
>> Hi!
>>

>>> Thanks for all the replies. the need is really simple,  just like an
>>> invoicing program, when the transaction is done, prints a receipt without
>>> user clicking anything, desktop app does this easily, not so sure about
>>> browser based app. will give all those a try, thanks.
>>>
>> You don't have access to the printer from a web app, period. The
>> closer you can get is to call window.print() through Javascript. It
>> will show the browser print dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Thiago

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi Thiago,

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
hi,

Thanks for all the replies. the need is really simple,  just like an
invoicing program, when the transaction is done, prints a receipt without
user clicking anything, desktop app does this easily, not so sure about
browser based app. will give all those a try, thanks.

angelo

Re: t5: printing?

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.

Re: t5: printing?