Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com> on 2012/04/06 04:31:33 UTC

[CVE-2012-1574] Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Hello,

Users of Apache Hadoop should be aware of a security vulnerability recently
discovered, as described by the following CVE. In particular, please note
the "Users affected", "Versions affected", and "Mitigation" sections.

Best,
Aaron

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

CVE-2012-1574: Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Severity: Critical

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Hadoop 0.20.203.0, 0.20.204.0, and 0.20.205.0
Hadoop 1.0.0 to 1.0.1
Hadoop 0.23.0 to 0.23.1.

Users affected: Users who have enabled Hadoop's Kerberos/MapReduce security
features.

Impact: Vulnerability allows an authenticated malicious user to impersonate
any other user on the cluster.

Mitigation:
0.20.20x.x and 1.0.x users should upgrade to 1.0.2
0.23.x users should upgrade to 0.23.2 when it becomes available

Credit:
This issue was discovered by Aaron T. Myers of Cloudera.

Re: Fw: [CVE-2012-1574] Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
I don't know when the CVE will be published, but there are details
available  here:

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Cloudera+Security+Bulletin

-Joey

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:
> Details of the below vulnerability have not been released.
>
> Given that HBase security has as its foundation Apache Hadoop authentication, at this time we must assume any secure HBase deployment is equally vulnerable.
>
> I will update you when more information is available.
>

> Best regards,
>

>     - Andy

Joey Echeverria
Senior Solutions Architect
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: Fw: [CVE-2012-1574] Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
If you're not running MapReduce, you're safe.

-Joey

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks.

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: [CVE-2012-1574] Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Andrew,

The project member were in the loop on the private Hadoop security
mailing list. This wasn't a vendor discussion.

We had a discussion  about how much to disclose before sending out
this notification, and there were differing opinions. Agree that we
should disclose more information next time around, I'll push hard for
that next time.

Thanks,
Eli

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is not a helpful disclosure.

It's certainly helpful for users of 0.20.20x. and 1.0.x, who can
immediately upgrade to 1.0.2, which was released yesterday. I agree it's
not very helpful for users of 0.23.x, but the assumption is that there are
far fewer of those than users of 0.20.20x and 1.0.x.

Now we know our "secure" deployment is vulnerable, but have no idea how to
> mitigate. Claiming an upgrade to a nonexistent version with an, apparently,
> uncommitted fix as a mitigation is not viable. Where is the JIRA for this?

Per the Apache security guidelines (
http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html), there is no up-stream JIRA.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:02 AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

> This is not a helpful disclosure.
>
> Now we know our "secure" deployment is vulnerable, but have no idea how to mitigate. Claiming an upgrade to a nonexistent version with an, apparently, uncommitted fix as a mitigation is not viable. Where is the JIRA for this?

*SIGH* You're right, we messed up. We waited for the stable line to be fixed with Hadoop 1.0.2, but we should have waited for the 0.23.2 vote to pass too. The bug is fixed in 0.23.2 rc 0.

-- Owen

Re: [CVE-2012-1574] Apache Hadoop user impersonation vulnerability

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I received off list communication that the fix is here: https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/commit/fda454

Thank you, this is the missing disclosure we were looking for.

I did not go so far back in time as >~ 21 days because the announcement was made today, so missed it.

So there is additional mitigation possible, for example, a user can patch task-controller quite readily and roll out an emergency upgrade.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.