Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dale Strickler <Da...@DirecWay.com> on 2005/07/08 07:50:50 UTC

Moving a bunch of files as one revision.

Hi all,

I feel like I am missing something.  Searching the emails and the book have
not helped yet!

I have a group of 25 files in a working directory that I want to move to
another working directory.  (Both in the same repository.)  The command
line does not seem to accept wild cards and the SVN MOVE HELP does not seem
to show multiple file syntax.  In the mailing list I found a rather cryptic
shell script for applying an ADD to a bunch of files located with GREP, but
--if I read it right-- it still used individual SVN invocations for each
file.  Is there a way to use wild cards or an indirect file list so that a
move operation can be applied to a group of files and have  all the moves
be considered the same revision and all done with one invocation of svn?

I don't like the idea of bumping my revision count 25 times just because I
have 25 files to move.  As well as having to use a shell script to do the
25 invocations.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
-Dale Strickler

Re: Moving a bunch of files as one revision.

Posted by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>.
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:50:50AM -0400,
 Dale Strickler <Da...@DirecWay.com> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

> I have a group of 25 files in a working directory that I want to
> move to another working directory.  (Both in the same repository.)
> The command line does not seem to accept wild cards and the SVN MOVE
> HELP does not seem to show multiple file syntax. [...]  Is there a
> way to use wild cards or an indirect file list so that a move
> operation can be applied to a group of files and have all the moves
> be considered the same revision and all done with one invocation of
> svn?

Not tested but:

for file in start-directory/*; do
  svn rename $file other-directory/$file
done
svn commit -m '25 files renamed in one commit'

> As well as having to use a shell script to do the 25 invocations.

God gave the Shell to mankind precisely for such purposes. Do not
despise the Gift of God.

Re: Moving a bunch of files as one revision.

Posted by David Faure <fa...@kde.org>.
On Friday 08 July 2005 09:50, Dale Strickler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I feel like I am missing something.  Searching the emails and the book have
> not helped yet!
>
> I have a group of 25 files in a working directory that I want to move to
> another working directory.  (Both in the same repository.)  The command
> line does not seem to accept wild cards and the SVN MOVE HELP does not seem
> to show multiple file syntax.

Move from a working directory into another working directory (instead of moving from a URL or to a URL),
and then you can do all the moves on the client side and then commit in one go.