Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Martijn Visser <ma...@ververica.com> on 2021/09/16 11:21:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Scala Shell

Hi everyone,

As was discussed quite a while ago, the community has planned to drop
support for Scala 2.11 [1]. I'm proposing to also drop the Scala Shell,
which was briefly discussed in the email thread for dropping Scala 2.11 [2].

The Scala Shell doesn't work on Scala 2.12 [3] and there hasn't been much
traction to get this working and it looks like the Flink community /
committers don't want to maintain it anymore. Alternatively, if there's
still someone interested in the Scala Shell, it could also be moved to a
3rd party repository. Removing the Scala Shell would/could help in getting
Scala 2.11 dropped quicker.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best regards,

[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra817c5b54e3de48d80e5b4e0ae67941d387ee25cf9779f5ae37d0486%40%3Cdev.flink.apache.org%3E

Martijn Visser | Product Manager

martijn@ververica.com

<https://www.ververica.com/>

Follow us @VervericaData

Conference

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala Shell

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
Thanks for bringing this up.

+1 for dropping the Scala Shell or moving it out of Apache Flink if there
is interest in the community to develop it further.

--

Konstantin Knauf

https://twitter.com/snntrable

https://github.com/knaufk