Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Posta Winsome <a....@winsome.it> on 2001/04/20 12:52:49 UTC

Tomcat Authentication doesn't seem to work at all!

Hi all.
Sorry, but I'm a newby in Tomcat Authentication, so I have some problems in
my first test......

In my web application, the file web.xml contains the following lines:

  <security-constraints>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>Protected Area</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>my-html-document.html</url-pattern>
      <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
      <http-method>PUT</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>

    <auth-constraints>
      <role-name>my-role-name</role-name>
    </auth-constraints>

    <user-data-constraint>
      <transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee>
    </user-data-constraint>
  </security-constraints>

  <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>VPOAdmin</realm-name>
  </login-config>

but despite this, I can always reach the html document in my web root.

The same if I write:

<url-pattern>/my-web-root/my-html-document.html</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>/my-web-root/*</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>*</url-pattern>

the browser *NEVER* prompt me for users and password!

I'm really going mad!
I use Tomcat 3.2.1 in a Linux RH 6.2 box

Any help?
Thanks in advance.