Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger <rx...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/05 14:51:25 UTC

Tomcat 6 + Apache 2.0 with SSL

Hi there!

I have some questions about how to setup Apache and Tomcat with SSL
support. Currently I have the following setup:

- Windows 2003
- Tomcat 6.0.13
- Apache 2.0.59 with
  - openssl 0.9.7j
  - mod_ssl
  - mod_proxy
  - mod_rewrite (not used)

I have generated keys that work with Apache. So I can open a page like
https://localhost/. I've tried to use mod_proxy to redirect all
traffic to Tomcat, which works for http and https, using the following
setup:

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    Include conf/ssl.conf
</IfModule>

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/

<VirtualHost *:443>
    SSLProxyEngine On
    ProxyPass https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
    ProxyPassReverse https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
</VirtualHost>

I have the following questions:

1) Is this a normal setup? Anything that could cause a problem?
2) I want to be able to route traffic for one webapp to https, not
allowing it to be used via http. I don't care if this is done using
mod_rewrite or mod_proxy or anything else.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Tomcat 6 + Apache 2.0 with SSL

Posted by Roger <rx...@gmail.com>.
Hi there! First of all, thanks for all your replies. I don't know
why, but I missed all your replies except the last of course. I'll
try to answer your questions.

What I need is to have the option to use SSL with Tomcat. Apache
httpd is not a necessity. There is no need to have an https
connection between Apache and Tomcat. I tried several setups in the
past weeks.

1) Tomcat standalone + SSL; this worked with 5.5, but not 6.0.
2) Apache 2.2 with SSL; couldn't get SSL working.
3) Apache 2.0 with SSL; this worked without Tomcat, and I had a
working certificate.
4) Apache 2.0 + mod_proxy to Tomcat; this worked, but not with SSL.
-- At this point I mailed the list.
5) Apache 2.0 in a new setup, with SSL, mod_proxy, and server.xml
slightly modified. This worked!
6) Apache 2.2 in the same setup (modified httpd.conf)

In this setup all http traffic is redirected to https, which is not
ideal. To answer some questions:

- Apache httpd does not point to the Tomcat webapps.
- Double https is not needed (like: browser -> https-> Apache ->
https-> tomcat)
- I use this for my SSL certificate <IfModule ssl_module>Include conf/
ssl.conf</IfModule>

This is my current setup in 2.2:

> LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
> LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
>
> <IfModule ssl_module>
> 	SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
> 	SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
> 	Include conf/ssl.conf
> </IfModule>
>
> ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
> 	SSLProxyEngine On
> 	ProxyPass https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
> 	ProxyPassReverse https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
> </VirtualHost>

Some questions:

1) Will this setup work to make https work for selected webapps or
subdirectories only? Or do I need mod_rewrite? Do you have examples
of how this can be done?
2) Could the same be done using mod_rewrite? It's not clear to me
what the differences are, and what for instance mod_jk could add
here. (Not that I plan to use mod_jk now, but I want to understand.)
3) I have difficulty understanding the mod_rewrite syntax. It this a
good book on how to learn it? Do you have other suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Apache-mod_rewrite/dp/1590595610/

Roger

Op 6 jul 2007, om 11:19 heeft David Smith het volgende geschreven:

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by Arian Abrahantes <Ar...@cern.ch>.
Hi Filik:

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.