Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jim Alateras <ji...@intalio.com> on 2002/03/05 14:33:01 UTC

Phoenix container question

I am running my application in a Phoenix container and was wondering whether
it is possible for an object, like a Handle, to get access to a Block, like
the Resolver for the purpose of resolving the handle to an object. Are
blocks registered with a naming service or something similar

thanks
</jima>

RE: Phoenix container question

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@intalio.com>.
> If you are talking about accessing other blocks from within the same
> Application using some form of directory then there is nothing
> that directly
> does that. It is expected that you use dependencies between blocks to
> implement inter-block communication. However you can implement
> this yourself.
>
> You can write a "directory" block that stores references to all the other
> blocks.
>
> Then you can write an ApplicationListener that listeners for the event
> indicating creation of all the different blocks. All the created
> blocks are
> cached in the listener until an applicationStarted event occurs at which
> point you could register them in the directory block.

cool, this is what I wad after. Thanks Pete

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:33, Jim Alateras wrote:
> I am running my application in a Phoenix container and was wondering
> whether it is possible for an object, like a Handle, to get access to a
> Block, like the Resolver for the purpose of resolving the handle to an
> object. Are blocks registered with a naming service or something similar

Im not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking for the ability to
reference the blocks outside the container?

If so then you can look at SingleAppEmbeddor for in-JVM communication or you
can look at the SOAP/AltRMI/JMX integration for accessing blocks from another
JVM.

--
Cheers,

Pete