Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/03 06:28:08 UTC

[VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

[By which I mean the following checklist item:

"Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. " ]

I'm proposing that the following is added to the process for a new podling:

1) The podling are to list the individuals/entities who need to grant
rights for any existing software moving to the ASF. These may be
either ICLAs or Software Grants. [Ideally this would be listed, or at
least described, in the proposals].

2) Podlings are expected to have completed this item after 3 months of
reporting within the Incubator. It's understood that this may not be
the case, in which case they will continue to report monthly until the
item is complete (explaining the current status in their report).

Additionally:

3) Existing podlings are grandfathered in until the end of the year,
at which point they will have to start reporting monthly if they have
not completed the item.

[ These are guidelines and the Incubator PMC would adjust to
individual situations as they see fit ]

[ ] +1
[ ] -1, because...
[ ] BikeShed: I want to continue discussion on some point:

Thanks,

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sorry I don't understand this point :). Would you please explain ?
>
> I think its meant like:
>
> All incubator projects, which were already incubating before this vote
> have time to complete the CLA item until the end of the year (if it is
> not already solved of course).
> Until it is checked, the incubator folks will watch the project with
> eagle eyes and want to receive monthly reports, indicating the state
> of this CLA item

+1 on that point as well.

Thanks Christian :).

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 in general although I have some comments, please see below

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2011-08-03, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> [By which I mean the following checklist item:
>
>> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
>> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
>> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. " ]
>

>> I'm proposing that the following is added to the process for a new podling:
>
>> 1) The podling are to list the individuals/entities who need to grant
>> rights for any existing software moving to the ASF. These may be
>> either ICLAs or Software Grants. [Ideally this would be listed, or at
>> least described, in the proposals].

It is already mentioned in the proposals more specifically when it
comes to ICLAS as when initial committers are listed it is mentioned,
beside each name, whether it needs ICLA or not.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-08-03, Henri Yandell wrote:

> [By which I mean the following checklist item:

> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. " ]

> I'm proposing that the following is added to the process for a new podling:

> 1) The podling are to list the individuals/entities who need to grant
> rights for any existing software moving to the ASF. These may be
> either ICLAs or Software Grants. [Ideally this would be listed, or at
> least described, in the proposals].

> 2) Podlings are expected to have completed this item after 3 months of
> reporting within the Incubator. It's understood that this may not be
> the case, in which case they will continue to report monthly until the
> item is complete (explaining the current status in their report).

> Additionally:

> 3) Existing podlings are grandfathered in until the end of the year,
> at which point they will have to start reporting monthly if they have
> not completed the item.

+1

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
+1

I agree with the points made earlier in the discussion thread.

Craig

On Aug 2, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> [By which I mean the following checklist item:
>
> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. " ]
>

> I'm proposing that the following is added to the process for a new
> podling:
>
> 1) The podling are to list the individuals/entities who need to grant
> rights for any existing software moving to the ASF. These may be
> either ICLAs or Software Grants. [Ideally this would be listed, or at
> least described, in the proposals].
>
> 2) Podlings are expected to have completed this item after 3 months of
> reporting within the Incubator. It's understood that this may not be
> the case, in which case they will continue to report monthly until the
> item is complete (explaining the current status in their report).
>
> Additionally:
>
> 3) Existing podlings are grandfathered in until the end of the year,
> at which point they will have to start reporting monthly if they have
> not completed the item.
>
> [ These are guidelines and the Incubator PMC would adjust to
> individual situations as they see fit ]
>

> [ ] +1
> [ ] -1, because...
> [ ] BikeShed: I want to continue discussion on some point:
>

> Thanks,
>
> Hen

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:28:08PM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> [ ] +1
> [ ] -1, because...
> [ ] BikeShed: I want to continue discussion on some point:

+1

I like both the increased focus on this item and the progressive oversight
mechanism which was worked out during the discussion thread.  We will be doing
podlings a favor by communicating that this is a priority and asking for
updates -- it's easier to send reminders to lagging copyright holders when
someone is taking an active interest and insisting on accountability.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Increased process on CLA item

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> 1) The podling are to list the individuals/entities who need to grant
> rights for any existing software moving to the ASF. These may be
> either ICLAs or Software Grants. [Ideally this would be listed, or at
> least described, in the proposals].

Good idea, we should update the proposal template with this item