Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf)" <la...@frisurf.no> on 2003/01/03 11:05:48 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/xdocs/jk workershowto.xml

>                         const char *wname) {
>   +    int rc = JK_TRUE;
>   +    char buf[1024];
>   +    if (m && wname) {
>   +        int value;
>   +        sprintf(buf, "%s.%s.%s", PREFIX_OF_WORKER, wname, STICKY_SESSION);

Seeing that checkin I got curious and I had a look at the code.
I saw that this sprintf is used a lot in that way. Was wondering if
there was a way to pass some parameters to overflow the buffer.
Especially if the name comes from a property read from a file. I didn't
see any special protection checking the length of the parameters, wname
in that case.

Am I wrong?

J.

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/xdocs/jk workershowto.xml

Posted by "Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf)" <la...@frisurf.no>.
On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 12:52, Tim Funk wrote:
> wname is the worker name. This name is the name of the worker as defined
> in the JK property config file. Eg:
>
> worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
>         ^^^^^^^
>
> For example above: tomcat1 is the worker name.
>
> If someone were to attempt a buffer overflow, they would need write
> access to the Jk config file. (Then have enough permission/patience
> until apache is restarted).

That's what I was thinking of. Bad permissions on the file can create a
risk. It is not likely, but that is one way of getting bigger
privileges. Of course that would mean the admin runs tomcat as root in
order to be exploitable.

> I do not think this is a problem (except for the admin of the box).

OK.

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/xdocs/jk workershowto.xml

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
wname is the worker name. This name is the name of the worker as defined
in the JK property config file. Eg:

worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
        ^^^^^^^

For example above: tomcat1 is the worker name.

If someone were to attempt a buffer overflow, they would need write
access to the Jk config file. (Then have enough permission/patience
until apache is restarted).

I do not think this is a problem (except for the admin of the box).

-Tim