Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/22 16:25:19 UTC

LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

Per Claus Ibsen's blog post:

"Over time level db is planned to be default out of the box persistent
store, instead of the current kahadb store. Though we are not there
yet, so kahadb is still the default store."

What does "we are not there yet" mean? What are the caveats regarding
LevelDB usage?

Copious detail is much appreciated.

Just wondering.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Tom_Z <to...@arcor.de> wrote:
> gtully wrote
>> The only known caveat atm is priority support, levelDb does not
>> respect JMS priority in the same way as kahaDB or JDBC does.
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> can you please expain a little more? Not the same is not "not at all", so
> what are the results when using message priorities? Does it work in most
> cases or rarely?
I suppose it would work in most cases because priority support is also
implemented at the cursors and in the consumers. However, KahaDB has
explicit support for priority levels at the persistence level and
messages can be pulled off disk with some notion of priority. This is
the part missing in LevelDB AFAIK

> I'm using ActiveMQ 5.8 und have LevelDB activated. Should I go back to
> KahaDB?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Christian Posta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

Posted by Tom_Z <to...@arcor.de>.
gtully wrote

Re: LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

Posted by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com>.
leveDB also does not support multiple kahaDB instance (persistent adapters)
similar to kahaDB.

With the Mulitple KahaDB persistence adapter, destination partitioning
across journals is possible. but there is no support in levelDB for this.

Please correct me if I am wrong !!

Thanks,
Anuj

Re: LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
there has been a bunch of work in that area for 5.10 so my first
suggestion is to give a 5.10-SNAPSHOT a whirl. If that shows the same
behaviour we can get on the job of sorting out what the problem is.
A fresh snapshot was minted today -
http://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.10-SNAPSHOT/apache-activemq-5.10-20140325.181704-38-bin.tar.gz

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: LevelDB in ActiveMQ 5.9.0

On 2013-10-22 19:51:43 +0000, Gary Tully said:

> true but in fact, the scheduler has its own 'home grown' kahadb like
> store - and really needs to be layered over the existing persistence
> adapters - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3758 - on the
> todo list for 5.10
>
> On 22 October 2013 17:30, Christian Posta
> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is a separate store for scheduled messages.
>> KahaDB is implemented.
>>
>> There is no impl for leveldb yet.
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Claus Ibsen
>> <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does level db have support for that scheduled persistent store?
>>> http://activemq.apache.org/delay-and-schedule-message-delivery.html
>>>
>>> Or maybe I am mistaking or remembering wrong that the scheduler has a
>>> separate store from the regular store for its scheduled messages.

>>> --
>>> Claus Ibsen
>>> -----------------
>>> Red Hat, Inc.