Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2014/04/28 21:28:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

All,

The PMC would like to move forward towards establishing an Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (CoC for short). To make that happen, we need your help.

We do not at this time have a specific text proposal.  We'd like to open that up to contributions from the developer community. Examples of CoCs from other projects that you feel are well-crafted would be most welcome.

For my contribution: the long-standing Debian project has just voted in their Code of Conduct. I encourage you to review the text of this CoC at http://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_002 as I think it might be a good starting place for our efforts. Many of the points (such as having discussion on development direction should be made in public) are directly parallel to tenants upheld by the ASF and CouchDB itself.

-Joan

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 29 April 2014 10:54, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl
> >wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > The PMC would like to move forward towards establishing an Apache
> > CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (CoC for short). To make that happen,
> we
> > need your help.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea. Here are the Python and Django versions:
> >
> > https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
> > https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/
> >
> > I rather like the introduction to Django's CoC, explaining why the CoC
> > exists.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dirkjan
> >

> +1 the the djangoproject one is pretty good.
>
> - benoit

also +1 - there are many good points in the Django project CoC we can use.
I especially like the statement where the CoC applies (IRC, ML and so forth
...)

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Jason,

My thinking here is modelled on a typical HR policy. There are minor
offences and major offences. Minor ones are met with warnings, and
major ones are met with summary dismissal.

If a PMC member unambiguously, and seriously, acts against the best
interests of the project, then I think it is fitting to remove that
person from the PMC. No warnings, no time-outs.

Everything is reversible. If the person reforms, then we may want to
invite the back. But I hardly think it's likely.

In any case, this whole thing would be decided via voting. So I'm not
worried about the rules being applied irresponsibly.

The way I imagine it working is that, let's say I spot some behaviour
that violates our CoC, I would start a vote on the private@ list with
the subject "[VOTE] Formal warning for Ash Smith" and I would
highlight the part of the CoC that had been violated. Other members of
the PMC would vote in private, lending +1 or -1 votes. If the vote
passes, I would issue a formal warning on behalf of the project.

Warnings would be done in private, and there would be a chance to
appeal (which would be, again, voted on). I think it's a good idea to
post a note to the relevant thread indicating that the community
member received a warning for the behaviour.

Instead of a third warning, we'd issue a time-out. Again decided on by
vote. This person would be removed from the mailing list, IRC, or
JIRA. Whatever makes sense in context. Perhaps all of them at once.

Repeated time-outs would, I guess, just mean that the time-outs get
longer each time. You could start with a day, a week, or whatever, and
go to a month, three months, six months, and so on.

The only thing left to decide is what to do about commit bits and PMC
membership. I think if a committer is put on time-out a second or
third time, we ought to be thinking about removing that person from
the PMC or committership.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Makes me realise: we ought to be explicit about how this applies to
IRC and our moderation policy.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Some more links.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Rhodes <mi...@cloudant.com>.
On 29 April 2014 11:18, Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rule: No profanity
>
> Secondly, this is only a suspicion, but I think profanity (and also cocky
> faux hatred), is a shibboleth indicating manhood and that we are in a
> men-only club. It's like a loud fart or belch, or scratching your groin.
> Men generally curb that behavior in mixed company. It reminds me of bulls
> locking horns to impress a mate. Maybe F-bombs and the anger it stands for
> are scaring some women away from software. Could be wrong, though.

+1 to guidance against profanity, particularly casual. Crassness is
unpleasant.

-1 to casual sexism that women don't swear, fart or scratch their crotches.
I know you didn't mean harm, but this trap is too easy to fall into and is
relevant here.

Mike.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rule: No profanity
>
> Consequence: private email from $somebody asking to stop (i.e. I propose
> that this is the most minor transgression possible, but it's still
> frowned-upon)

Big +1. First ask politely in private what's you're doing wrong, why
it's wrong and how you should fix that. An only if this step doesn't
helps move things on public. This matter of being polite, not just
about CoC.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.
Noah, may I propose a rule and consequences not listed in any of the CoCs
so-far:

Rule: No profanity

Consequence: private email from $somebody asking to stop (i.e. I propose
that this is the most minor transgression possible, but it's still
frowned-upon)

Background:

Sorry if this is bike shedding, but I wish there was less profanity in the
community. In private I am very profane. Just the other day, my own mother
told me how disappointed she was! And I've done it in this community too.

But I have resolved to try to use zero profanity in my professional life.

Casual profanity is characteristically Western. Not every society tolerates
profanity in educated circles. Where I live, Thailand, and across Asia,
profanity in the workplace is exclusively for the crass uneducated class.
It is unthinkable in an office setting. When westerners casually drop
F-bombs, they are unknowingly embarrassing themselves before a great
untapped software resource: non-Western programmers.

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net>.
+1, I'll also note that the Debian text has some placeholders
for infractions and positive action being taken to resolve
issues - if agreed we could start with that text and go further.

But I really want to see ideas and text other people have! :D

-Joan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Looks like good information to have on a webpage somewhere that
discusses our policies ;)

-Joan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Security bugs are not open to the public.

In general, the project operates openly. It is one of our core
principals as an Apache project. But there are numerous private
resources that we use for sensitive items, including but not limited
to:

- Private bugs for security issues
- Private IRC channel for sensitive topics
- Private project mailing list for sensitive topics
- Private foundation level lists for internal affairs
- Private svn repository for sensitive record keeping
- Other misc private infrastructure

On 30 April 2014 09:40, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> Hey Joan,
>
> yeah good point. In one of your first emails, you stated below your quote
> for the text (">  We will keep our entire bug report database open for
> public ...")
>
> "so we can probably make this explicit, then point to the ASF Bylaws[1]
> and ASF "How it works"[2] for the rest."
>
> Question: isn't the bug handling better placed in the bylaws? I understand
> the CoC more in regarding "personal behaviour" instead of "technical
> behaviour". Or am I on the wrong path?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

> On 30 April 2014 07:24, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> And the good news is that we have a mechanism for that already! :)
>>
>> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/cve/index.html
>>
>> We encourage people to bring security issues to us via this framework.
>> All issues raised are addressed promptly and disclosed as soon as feasible.
>>
>> -Joan

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hey Joan,

Posted by Bruno Rohée <br...@rohee.org>.
Joan Touzet wtrote:

Posted by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 28 April 2014 21:28, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> The PMC would like to move forward towards establishing an Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (CoC for short). To make that happen, we need your help.
>
> We do not at this time have a specific text proposal.  We'd like to open that up to contributions from the developer community. Examples of CoCs from other projects that you feel are well-crafted would be most welcome.

Thanks Joan & others who have contributed already. I fully support
this initiative!

All of the CoC posted so far have value in them, I'm looking forwards
to the remix. After a few days, should we (I can) collate these
together?

3 suggestions:

- Address how we make progress & decisions

Consensus (not to be confused with unaniminity) needs to be supported,
in both the role of shepherding the discussion appropriately, as well
as in respectful contribution. I think we can do a much better job of
this, eg clarify how we ensure that dissension doesn't stop moving the
code forwards.

- Policy must be seen to be applied, and consistently.

An observation is that inappropriate behaviour needs to be seen to be
corrected, or at least recognised as such. As we are fundamentally an
online community, that can be painful to do (I recall mine), but I
believe it's necessary.  That can be sufficient as a reminder (reply)
but doesn't need to be a disciplinary action.

If we simply avoid that behaviour then it is not easy for others to
see that we actually don't condone it. The real-world example is that
crime decreases in areas where police are consistently visible, even
in the absence of any additional/actual law enforcement activity. It's
not enough to remind behind the scenes when the line is demonstrably
crossed, it needs to be seen to be respected.

[I'm welcome to be persuaded otherwise BTW, if the consensus is opposite]

WRT to Noah's suggestion of having a response procedure that is
useful. I would imagine most cases will simply need a reminder of the
appropriate CoC section, and optionally a timeouts or cool-off period
- especially related to escalating discussions that are not
approaching resolution. I'm thinking hours/days here rather than
weeks/months/years BTW -- I could do with being reminded of that
sometimes.

My favourite examples so far are the django (per DJC's comments) and
debian-2014 one (general sage advice).

A+
Dave