Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/20 08:36:51 UTC

MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Hi !

Would it cause problems for having MINA 3 jdk7 only ?
The rational is quite simple : multicast udp support is only in jdk7.

I know a lot of people are still running jdk6 or event 5 :) that's why I ask.

Julien

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/16/13 2:34 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 29 June 2013 21:41, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 6/29/13 7:35 PM, Julien Vermillard a écrit :
>>> I think having the codec module java 6 compatible would help to use it
>>> with MINA2 or other framework.
>>> WDYT ?
>> I don't mind if it's JAVA 6 compatble, as soon as we still can benefit
>> from Java 7 features in the core.
> It seems like the main driver for Java 7 is multicast UDP.

Not to mention that Java 6 is EOL since last year...

> Can that be isolated in a few classes such that the rest of the code
> works on Java 6?
>
> So Java 7 would be required for building, but Java 6+ for running.
> But it may be too complicated to do.
I really think we should ditch Java 6. It's dead, buried. Java 7 for the
masses !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
I think having the codec module java 6 compatible would help to use it
with MINA2 or other framework.
WDYT ?
--
Julien Vermillard :::: http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/16/13 10:34 AM, Steve Ulrich a écrit :
>> sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com] wrote:
>>
>> On 21 May 2013 10:02, Steve Ulrich <st...@proemion.com> wrote:
>>> 2 Reasons for 7.0:
>>> 1) When MINA 3 is released, Java 8 is near or already released
>>> 2) Developers who don't want to upgrade to Java 7 because of the
>> (testing, developing, whatever) effort won't upgrade to MINA 3 either.
>>
>> I don't think that's generally true.
>> If MINA is part of a larger system, then updating Java as well as MINA
>> is a lot more work and testing than just updating MINA.
>> Especially if the system is installed on multiple nodes which may have
>> different hardware and configs.
> Java 6's public EOL is due,

Java 6 EOL : Feb 2013
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html)

It's not due, it's already dead ;-)
> but commercial support is still there until 2016.
Dec 2016. Most of our users will not pay for a commercial support, I'm
afraid :-)

> From a commercial side it doesn't make much sense to put effort (and money) in a MINA 3 upgrade for only 2 years (MINA 3 release + development time and you're are likely in the middle of 2014).
> Besides a MINA 3 designed for Java 7 could bring much more efficiency and some new features.

+1

> What is the downside of sticking to an existing and stable MINA 2 until you are ready to upgrade to Java 7? You'll have to test your application with Java 7 nonetheless - a new MINA won't hurt much on testing efforts.
> Downside for devs: MINA 2 needs to be supported a little longer.

We will maintain MINA 2 for some more time. There are not so much effort
to be put on this version anyway. (if we except the documentation...)

> Given a longer development time I would even suggest using Java 8. But it will be most likely too cutting-edge for most needs.

I'm not really sur Java 8 brings a lot of interesting features for MINA
(Which is not the case for Java 7)

> btw: is there a current roadmap or target for MINA 3?

Julien is trying hard to cut a first milstone, and is struggling with
N&L files... I feel for him :-)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

RE: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Steve Ulrich <st...@proemion.com>.
> sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com] wrote:
>
> On 21 May 2013 10:02, Steve Ulrich <st...@proemion.com> wrote:
> > 2 Reasons for 7.0:
> > 1) When MINA 3 is released, Java 8 is near or already released
> > 2) Developers who don't want to upgrade to Java 7 because of the
> (testing, developing, whatever) effort won't upgrade to MINA 3 either.
>
> I don't think that's generally true.
> If MINA is part of a larger system, then updating Java as well as MINA
> is a lot more work and testing than just updating MINA.
> Especially if the system is installed on multiple nodes which may have
> different hardware and configs.

Java 6's public EOL is due, but commercial support is still there until 2016.
From a commercial side it doesn't make much sense to put effort (and money) in a MINA 3 upgrade for only 2 years (MINA 3 release + development time and you're are likely in the middle of 2014).
Besides a MINA 3 designed for Java 7 could bring much more efficiency and some new features.
What is the downside of sticking to an existing and stable MINA 2 until you are ready to upgrade to Java 7? You'll have to test your application with Java 7 nonetheless - a new MINA won't hurt much on testing efforts.
Downside for devs: MINA 2 needs to be supported a little longer.

Given a longer development time I would even suggest using Java 8. But it will be most likely too cutting-edge for most needs.

btw: is there a current roadmap or target for MINA 3?

Steve Ulrich
IT Development (IT/DEV)

Proemion GmbH
Donaustr. 14 36043 Fulda, Germany
Phone   +49 (0) 661 9490-601
Fax     +49 (0) 661 9490-333
www.proemion.com

Management: Dipl. Ing. Robert Michaelides
Register court: Amtsgericht Fulda 5 HRB 1332

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/16/13 6:57 PM, sebb a écrit :

>> In other words, "Time is of the essence"
> Well yes, but that has little to do with whether to move to Java 6 or Java 7.

In our case, it does. We aren't enough and we have not a lot of work
time to dedicate to support for older versions of java for all the MINA
version, IMO.

This is a balance between what kind of comfort we want to give to our
users, and how much time we have to produce the packages.

OTOH, if we have a couple of dedicated users who want to have a Java 6
supported MINA 3, they will be *very* welcome to become active
committers on the project !!!

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 July 2013 14:07, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That's an entirely separate issue; part of the problem is it's
>> extremely difficult to do generics correctly in libraries such as
>> collections.
> In fact, it's not at all a separate issue : just because it's really
> difficult to do it correctly does not mean you don't have to do it. The
> big difference is the time you have to complete the work. I can
> understand that it took 9 years for some team working 1h a week on a
> project to move to generic, but it's not something we want to get stuck
> into : by getting rid of tme constraints (ie, removing the need to keep
> a compatibility with an already EOL version of Java), we spare this
> previous time delivering some package in a (soemhow) better timing, not
> leaving our users with the alternative of using a semi-OSS component
> like guava

I'll just point out that other Commons components have had plenty of
releases using generics.
I think it was also partly that Java 5 has lots of new collection
functionality so there was perhaps less of a need for Commons
Collections.
There was no-one really driving it forward.

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: MINA 3.0 JDK7+ only ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.