Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Juan Núñez Jaramillo <ju...@efetepe.org> on 2005/08/02 10:45:41 UTC

Cache problem

I'm having some issues with the cache of some pages.

While the content of the portlets is showing fine, the psml page and all
the parts from its layout (decorator-top, decorator-bottom, even the
portlet decorator) are not refreshed anymore, unless I stop Tomcat, wait
for a while and start it again, and than doesn't alway work.

Do you know if is a way so specify wich pages shoud be and what ones
shouldn't be cached?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Cache problem

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Juan,

This is not an error of yours, but rather a problem with the Velocity
webapp resource loader.

As with PSML, we attempt to instruct Velocity to reload cached templates
and macros every 10 seconds. While this configuration used to work well
with the file loader, this is apparently not supported by the webapp
loader. Fortunately, I had previously implemented Velocity engine
caching that IS sensitive to changes in the macros definition file,
(yes, every 10 seconds). This is why decorator macro edits are picked up
but templates are not. So, all that is needed now is for me to extend
the checking of this logic to cover the templates. I believe I can
accomplish this easily by simply checking the modification time of the
decorator directory itself.

Randy

Re: Cache problem

Posted by Juan Núñez Jaramillo <ju...@efetepe.org>.

Re: Cache problem

Posted by Juan Núñez Jaramillo <ju...@efetepe.org>.

Randy Watler wrote:

> Juan,
>
> There have been reports of this and similar issues cropping up as of
> late. Just to clarify:
>
> 1. Is it PSML pages you are modifying under a running instance of J2,
> or portlet preferences?

I'm modifying a skin.

> 2. Does the problem persist across multiple users or within a single
> user session?

It doesn't matter whether I access without login or with login. It seems
that since Tomcat is running the first time a skin is loaded, it is
cached, and stays so until restarted.

> 3. If the problem is limited to a single session, does it span browser
> sessions?

It does span. I've jetspeed in my laptop, and I've tried from Mozilla,
Firefox, Konqueror and Internet Explorer, both in my laptop and in my
desktop computer, the information still persists.

> 4. How large is your site in general, (does it have more than 100
> distinct PSML files)?

It's just the simple default jetspeed downloaded from the SNV built and run.

> 4. If I read your report correctly, restarting Tomcat does NOT always
> clear the issue up?

I've rechecking to assure. Don't know what I did wrong before, but now,
restarting Tomcat does work.

> Thanks for helping us pin this down,,,

Thanks to you for helping me too :D

Re: Cache problem