Posted to dev@sirona.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/10 22:04:08 UTC

ASM vs. Javassist

Hi,

I noticed you chose ASM and not Javassist.  I'd be curious to learn why.
 Is Javassist dead-ish?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: ASM vs. Javassist

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Romain,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> without any order:
>
> 1) we are used to asm I think
> 2) asm is fast
> 3) javassist has/had for a long time problematic issues like memory leaks
> (fixed - regressed)
> 4) we need low level control and asm exactly matches it
>
> Maybe to be complete you need to answer the question: why would you have
> chosen javassist?

Thanks for this valuable info.  I think I see more references to ASM than
Javassist - maybe because of 3) :)

I don't know why the person from my team who picked Javassist picked it
back when he picked it, a few years ago.

Yeah, Javassist doesn't look super healthy/active:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/Javassist ...

Otis

Re: ASM vs. Javassist

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

without any order:

1) we are used to asm I think
2) asm is fast
3) javassist has/had for a long time problematic issues like memory leaks
(fixed - regressed)
4) we need low level control and asm exactly matches it

Maybe to be complete you need to answer the question: why would you have
chosen javassist?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/