Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by Christian Amend <ch...@apache.org> on 2015/10/09 15:11:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Future Release cycle of the Olingo V4 library

Hi all,

Since we now have the first stable release with our 4.0.0 version I
would like to start a discussion about the future release cycle of the
V4 library. With the V2 library there have not been many people from
the open source world involved so the Olingo members have been
releasing if they thought it was a good idea. Communication about this
was mostly done privately until the vote mail was send to the dev
list. Even with the V4 beta releases there has not been a really clear
path of what we hoped to get into the releases and when to release
them.

Since there are now more contributors I would like the Olingo
community to get to a consensus about how we as an Apache project want
to handle this in the future.

1. Should we define a feature set and log it inside JIRA. Then once
this set is implemented a release is done.
2. Should we define a time cycle e.g. 1-3 months and provide releases
even if some features are not ready.
3. A combination I could not yet think of

WDYT?

Best Regards,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Future Release cycle of the Olingo V4 library

Posted by "Bolz, Michael" <mi...@sap.com>.
Hi all,

IMHO a combination of definition of a (coarse) roadmap and feature which should be included in the next version
and a relatively fixed release cycle (around 3 months) works best.
Part of the roadmap should also to fix all known bugs.
Voting of priority of features (and hence definition which are included in next release) could be done via “dev” mailing list.

> 1. Should we define a feature set and log it inside JIRA. Then once
> this set is implemented a release is done.
> 2. Should we define a time cycle e.g. 1-3 months and provide releases
> even if some features are not ready.
> 3. A combination I could not yet think of

> On 09 Oct 2015, at 23:04, Ramesh Reddy <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> development = 0 - 1 1/2 months
> beta        = 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 months
> CR/Release  = 2 1/2 - 3 months

Furthermore the suggestion of Ramesh with different development phases sound good for me.
So we can first focus on implementing the feature (dev),
test intensively and polish the feature up (beta),
and then do the release (CR).

Best Regards,
Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] Future Release cycle of the Olingo V4 library

Posted by mibo <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

to put my „two cents“ in.

I totally agree that a release must not contain critical bugs in the core parts of the library.
Accordingly we should clearly separate between the „extension“ parts and the „core“ parts.

Furthermore the suggestion of Ramesh with different development phases sound good for me.
So we can first focus on implementing the feature (alpha/dev-phase),
test intensively and polish the feature up (beta-phase with feature-freeze),
and then do the release (RC with vote).
Those „phases“ then reflected as described by Ramesh:
> In Teiid, yes we provide jars/kits available through maven repo for alpha/beta with alpha/beta tags. The master branch is always working on next SNAPSHOT.

A definition of a (coarse) roadmap with features which should be included in the next version
in combination with a (relatively) fixed release cycle (around 3 months) should fit very good for us (Olingo).

Additionally I think it would also very good if we document this as an (informal?) guideline on the homepage.
This could/should be done together with some (new/updated) guidelines for contributors/committers.

Best Regards,
Michael

Posted by Ramesh Reddy <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ramesh Reddy <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Amend, Christian" <ch...@sap.com>.
Hi Ramesh,

I really like having a clear timeline. Around 3 months sounds reasonable to me as well.

Point 1 sounds good and should ensure that the community is on a clear basis what to develop. I like this a lot.

Point 2 worries me though. I completely agree with never downporting fixes if there is a clear workaround. I would even go as far as recommending users to upgrade to a newer version to receive a Bugfix if possible. This ensures development speed from our side.
Yet personally I think that fixing all bugs is not feasible with the time I have to contribute to the project. For example the V4 client code and the V2 JPA processor have been contributed to Olingo and I am not as knowledgeable in these domains as I am with the server part. So I would not want to delay a release simply because there are open client bugs that I can`t fix either because of time constraints or knowledge issues. So I would not make open bugs a blocker for a release. I completely agree with fixing as many bugs as possible before a release though.
Also I hope that bugs that are a "pain" for the community will result in more contributions for fixes. This is something we are lacking right now IMHO.

Another point I am not sure about is the beta release. In my opinion this is the current SNAPSHOT version. I would not perform a real beta release and publish it through all channels because I think this is a process overhead with how the release process currently goes. This includes votings on the mailing list and the verification of all release artifacts. I could think of an informal beta release where we simply change the mvn version number for a single deploy to give users a stable version to use. Or after 1,5 months we simply drop a mail to the user list to encourage users to try the current snapshot version.

Posted by Ramesh Reddy <ra...@redhat.com>.
Christian,