Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/09 11:09:02 UTC

DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Luciano Resende and me are developing the DAS C++. I started developing it
translating the classes from DAS Java to DAS C++. I've already converted
most of classes to C++, but the project is not compiling successfully yet
and I think it will take some time to.

There are many things to be done yet:

- As I am not used to work with pointers and references explicity as C++
does, there are some pointers and refereces that are not being used
correctly and need to be fixed.

- Most of functions' arguments and return are referenced objects. There is
necessary to rethink which function argument and return need to be a pointer
or a reference. I'm begginer with C++ and I need some advises about it.

- To define which argument, return and function will be set as "const" or
not.

- To define which function will be set as "virtual" or not.

- To evaluate which and where to delete the allocated objects. I really need
some advises, cause it's being difficult for me to see which is the best to
delete these objects.

Any volunteer to help with that I'm accepting ; ). But I think I can get by
for while. However I'd like invite some volunteers to help me in the
implementation of these classes:

- ResultSet, ResultSetMetaData, PreparedStatement and CallableStatement:
these classes belongs to the JDBC API and they are used a lot in DAS Java.
As known, the ODBC API is a procedural API and turns to be very difficult to
use a procedural API in a OO application. There is no need to implement
these classes as complex as they are in JDBC, only what is really necessary
for DAS C++.

- DASObject: I initially created this class to set in place of the Java
Object class. The DAS Java has some functions that takes the Object class as
arguments and as C++ has nothing like it(as far as I know) I created this
class. I've not assigned any function to this class(an empty class). Maybe
there is another simpler way to substitute the Java Object class, needing
some suggestions here too.

I will sending right now to Luciano the DAS C++ project,  then he may upload
it in his sandbox as soon as possible.

Adriano Crestani

Re: DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On 09/01/07, Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - To define which function will be set as "virtual" or not.

In Java, all instance methods are virtual unless they are marked final;
whereas in C++ by default, they are not. One way that you could deal with
this is just to ignore it. If you already have derived classes that override
a method in a parent class then the compiler will complain and that tells
you that you need to make the parent's method virtual. On the other hand,
any time that you find that you want to override a method from a parent then
again, you can change the parent. If you find you are making this change a
lot, then that will probably show/tell you where you need to change a block
of methods.

Regards,

Geoff.

Re: DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
The DASObject I'm handling using a void* and a short that defines the
object's type that the void* points:

typedef void* DASPointer;

class DASValues {

    const static short DAS_BOOL = 1;
    const static short DAS_STRING = 2;

};

class DASObject {

    private:
        DASPointer dasPointer;
        short dasValueType;

    public:
        DASObject(void);
        DASObject(DASPointer pointer, short value);
        virtual ~DASObject(void);
        void setDASObject(DASPointer pointer, short value);
        DASPointer getDASPointer(void) const;
        short getDASObject(void) const;

};

Any suggestion?

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Going back to your original questions, I'll try to comment on some of them
one at a time, starting with ...

On 09/01/07, Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - DASObject: I initially created this class to set in place of the Java
> Object class. The DAS Java has some functions that takes the Object class
> as
> arguments and as C++ has nothing like it(as far as I know) I created this
> class. I've not assigned any function to this class(an empty class). Maybe
> there is another simpler way to substitute the Java Object class, needing
> some suggestions here too.

You are right, C++ has nothing like the Java Object class, so C++ has no
common root to its object hierarchies. I think you will find it hard to
create a C++ class that can function like Java Object. For one thing _every_
class that you create will have to inherit from DASObject (or whatever),
furthermore, what do you then do about STL classes like vector and list? You
might need to create your own versions of those, such as DASvector which
will have to inherit from both std::vector and DASObject. So, in my opinion,
the general case is too hard.

A better thing to do is look at exactly what values the Java spec is passing
into those Object parameters and try to create a common root class for just
those values. For example, in SDO we encounter this problem when trying to
deal with the various primitive data types (boolean, short, float, ...). The
Java spec defines some methods that take (or return) an Object type,
intending that type to be a wrapped primitive value (eg Byte for a byte
etc). C++ has no direct equivalent, however we can define an SDOValue class
that looks a bit like

class SDOValue {
  union {
    bool a;
    float f;
    // etc
  } value;
  enum {
    SDObool,
    SDOfloat,
    // etc
  } datatype;
}

and then we can pass instances of SDOValue around within methods that are
interested in any one of the primitive data types.

There's nothing magic about this particular class, it's just an example. The
important point is that in SDO for Java, in many of the places where Object
is used as a type, what is _really_ meant is not "any object at all" but
rather "one of the primitive data types". If you can spot cases similar to
that in DAS then you can create classes to represent the things that are
really being passed instead of trying to recreate a generic Object class.

Please let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll have another go :-)

Regards,

Geoff.

Re: DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Geoffrey, I think it will work ; )

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

--
Pete

Re: DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Geoffrey, we're accepting any help. If you explain what you know about
SDO that could help in DAS C++ would be useful. Thanks!

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
To get more people helping on this I was wondering if we should add the code
to the trunk, where more people would have access to review and contribute
to the code. Could you guys advise me where is best for me to place this
initial code (non working at the moment) ? Should it go to my sandbox ? Or I

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

--
Pete

Re: DAS C++ needing volunteers and advises

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.