Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "Sanders, Arbin D" <as...@NCCU.EDU> on 2012/05/23 21:53:01 UTC

Max Number of VMs per Host

All,

What is the number of VMs do you all run per VMware host? Is it limited to the RAM limitation for vSphere 5? How many purchase vSphere licenses?

Arbin Darren Sanders

IT Manager - Academic Computing
North Carolina Central University
712 Cecil Street
Suite 3014
Durham, NC 27707
919.530.6307
919.530.5097 (Fax)

For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online    [cid:image001.png@01CD38FC.28FB8A20] <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>      [cid:image002.png@01CD38FC.28FB8A20] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Ivan Rako <ir...@srce.hr>.
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 03:53:01PM -0400, Sanders, Arbin D wrote:
> What is the number of VMs do you all run per VMware host? Is it limited to the RAM limitation for vSphere 5? How many purchase vSphere licenses?

Hello there,

at our University computing centre we have 3 VMware ESXi 4.1 hosts. Each
host has 6 quad-core CPUs (alltogether 24 cores) and 256 GB RAM. Each VM
has 2 GB and 1 vCPU. We have made several stress tests (each VM with
Bonnie++) and we have successfully started 100 VMs per one host.

Best regards,
Ivan Rako
University Computing Centre
University of Zagreb, Croatia
--
You only live once, and if you play it right, once is all you need.

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
This link may be helpful

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2000935

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
This link may be helpful

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Alexander Patterson <al...@csueastbay.edu>.

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Alexander Patterson <al...@csueastbay.edu>.

RE: Max Number of VMs per Host

RE: Max Number of VMs per Host

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Alexander Patterson <al...@csueastbay.edu>.
Hello,

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Alexander Patterson <al...@csueastbay.edu>.
Hello,

RE: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by "Sanders, Arbin D" <as...@NCCU.EDU>.

For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online    [cid:image001.png@01CD39CF.F3B98E50] <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>      [cid:image002.png@01CD39CF.F3B98E50] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>

[cid:1__=08BBF09BDFC124708f9e8a93df938@us.ibm.com]Evelio Quiros ---05/24/2012 10:58:12 AM---Hello, As you know, the number of Virtual Machines per host depends on available resources (CPU, RAM

From: Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>>
To: "vcl-user@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>, "'vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>,
Date: 05/24/2012 10:58 AM

________________________________

From: <Sanders>, Arbin D <as...@NCCU.EDU>>
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:53 PM
To: "'vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>, "'vcl-user@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Max Number of VMs per Host

For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com<http://www.symanteccloud.com/>

RE: Max Number of VMs per Host

From: Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>>
To: "vcl-user@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>, "'vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>,
Date: 05/24/2012 10:58 AM

________________________________

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Here is some info:

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Here is some info:

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

From: <Sanders>, Arbin D <as...@NCCU.EDU>>
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:53 PM
To: "'vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>, "'vcl-user@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>'" <vc...@incubator.apache.org>>

For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online    [Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.png@01CB6AD0.97665900] <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>      [Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image004.png@01CB6AD0.97665900] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Posted by "Creech, David" <CR...@ecu.edu>.
We are using ESXi 4.1 as our vmhost and we are limited to about 4 VM's per host.  This is mainly due to the fact that our vm's are running on local disks (not network storage) so we limit it to 4 to try and minimize the I/O on the disks (for performance).

Thanks!

David Creech
Technology Support Specialist
Computer Lab Coordinator