Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2022/08/21 16:11:18 UTC

Updating extensions

Hi all,

I know we had a discussion somewhere about the frequency of extension
updates, but I am unable to find it right now...

Normally, the update feed should be adjusted as soon as an extension
gets a newer version.

But the English dictionary is updated every month, so I think we should
reduce the update messages here.
I would suggest to start the update feed for the English dictionary
again for the September release and then to do it on a (roughly) 3 month
base.

How do others feel about it?

BTW: Do we have an update feed for other dictionaries (e.g. Danish,
Ukrainian)?

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Updating extensions

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

> On 08/21/2022 6:25 PM WEST Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> That's what I meant by reducing (the manual work). ;-)

:) +1

> I am not sure if an update feed for Danish exists, since the dictionary
> was set up new at some point. [1]
>
> Can you have a look, please?

It is working correctly.
I installed the 2020 version and was notified of the 2021 version. The 2022 version is posterior to the last update feed (because 4.1.13 was released meanwhile)

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Updating extensions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 21.08.22 um 19:13 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 08/21/2022 5:11 PM WEST Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Normally, the update feed should be adjusted as soon as an extension
>> gets a newer version.
> That would be the ideal situation if it was operating automatically :)
>
>> But the English dictionary is updated every month, so I think we should
>> reduce the update messages here.
> There is no need to reduce :)
> Updating is manual so we can decide what period is reasonable.
That's what I meant by reducing (the manual work). ;-)

>> I would suggest to start the update feed for the English dictionary
>> again for the September release and then to do it on a (roughly) 3 month
>> base.
>>
>> How do others feel about it?
> +1
> 3 months sounds like a reasonable interval
>
>> BTW: Do we have an update feed for other dictionaries (e.g. Danish,
>> Ukrainian)?
> AFAIK if the users install any dictionary with a proper update link, they will be notified of a new version when the update feed is updated.

I am not sure if an update feed for Danish exists, since the dictionary
was set up new at some point. [1]

Can you have a look, please?

Regards,

   Matthias