Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de> on 2008/06/17 07:42:02 UTC

Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Hello,

I am happy to announce the first German Hadoop Meetup in Berlin. We will meet
at 5 p.m. MESZ next Tuesday (24th of June) at the newthinking store in Berlin
Mitte:

newthinking store GmbH
Tucholskystr. 48
10117 Berlin

A big Thanks to the newthinking store for providing a room in the center of
Berlin for us.

There will be drinks provided by newthinking. You can order pizza if you like.
There are quite a few good restaurants nearby, so we can go there after the
official part.

Talks scheduled so far:

Stefan Groschupf will talk about Hadoop in action in one of his customer
projects. Of course there will be time to ask him questions on his new
project katta.

Isabel Drost will talk about the new project Mahout.

There will be a few more slots for talks of about 20 minutes with another 10
minutes for discussion. There will be a beamer so feel free to bring some
slides. In case you are interested, please contact me by mail. Please also
contact me by mail if you intend to visit the Meetup if you plan to attend.

Feel free to resend this mail to any communities interested in the meeting.

Isabel

--
Don't quit now, we might just as well lock the door and throw away the key.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Tuesday 17 June 2008, j.L wrote:
> where we can download pdf or ppt of this meetup?

Good question. I will put mine into the Mahout wiki and provide links to the
remaining slides as well. I have created an entry at Upcoming. After the get
together, I will fill in the links to the slides there as well:

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/807782/

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > any plans to capture this on video?

Unfortunately not. The meeting is intended to be rather informal with more
discussion and questions than talks.

Isabel

--
BOFH excuse #194:We only support a 1200 bps connection.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Tuesday 17 June 2008, j.L wrote:
> where we can download pdf or ppt of this meetup?

Slides are online: <http://www.spill-blog.de/spillblog/hadoopmeetup/20080624>

Isabel

--
It's from Casablanca.  I've been waiting all my life to use that line.		--
Woody Allen, "Play It Again, Sam"
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by "j.L" <li...@gmail.com>.

--
regards
j.L

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Isabel Drost wrote:
> I am happy to announce the first German Hadoop Meetup in Berlin. We will
> meet at 5 p.m. MESZ next Tuesday (24th of June) at the newthinking store in
> Berlin Mitte.

Some preliminary feedback I gathered myself at the meeting: There were about
20 people interested in Hadoop, Mahout and Co. The slides will be online as
soon as I get them. The newthinking store offered to publish a blog post on
the meeting, attach the slides and additional information.

Feedback I got concerning Mahout: In the wiki we should indicate the status of
the algorithms somewhere (are they only planned, available as JIRA patch or
part of the main distribution). In addition we should move our collection of
related books, articles and the like to the new wiki page. I guess I should
be able to fix that in the coming days.

One visitor was especially interested in the Mahout and UIMA setting, as he is
currently working on getting UIMA on EC2 - if I remember correctly. I hope to
see a talk on his work at the next meeting:

We aggreed on meeting again in about two months - for several people the trip
to Berlin was pretty long. I will announce the next meeting on the related
user mailing lists soon, so stay tuned.

Isabel

--
There will be big changes for you but you will be happy.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Hadoop Meetup @ Berlin

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.