Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu> on 2018/10/31 14:40:59 UTC

Solr TLS/SSL key alias configuration (with patch to come)

Hey folks,

Context:
There's a jetty-ssl.xml config file which configures Jetty's
SslContextFactory using properties set in solr.in.sh, but it's
incomplete for some purposes.

Problem:
I've noticed that no "certAlias" property is present. This means that
when Jetty starts, it will pick an arbitrary (based on some internal
order, I guess?) key from the keystore to use. This is fine when you're
only using your keystore for Solr and it only contains one key, but it
makes life a lot more complicated in environments where keystores are
managed and distributed to servers automagically.

When you add a key to the keystore, you can assign an alias. Jetty can
then use the key with that alias by means of its certAlias config property.

The Solr documentation [1] confusingly assigns the alias "solr-ssl" to
the key, but as far as I can tell this alias isn't actually used or
referenced anywhere else.

Solution:
I'm currently dealing with a slightly more complicated TLS setup, so I
propose I patch jetty-ssl.xml, solr.in.sh|cmd and enabling-ssl.adoc to
(optionally) use the alias? Unless someone can think of a reason why I
shouldn't do this?

I'm a bit worried that adding certAlias to jetty-ssl.xml might break
existing setups which don't use an alias, but I'm guessing that only
keystores with more than one key will be affected?

 - Bram

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_5/enabling-ssl.html

Re: Solr TLS/SSL key alias configuration (with patch to come)

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
On 31/10/2018 15:51, Erick Erickson wrote:
> There's no reason I can imagine not to open a JIRA,
> basically anyone willing to create a patch has my vote!

Done: SOLR-12953 including a patch. Decided to do this on the 7_5
branch. Merges cleanly to master as well, but we're stickign to 7.5 for
the time being.

Thanks,

 - Bram

Re: Solr TLS/SSL key alias configuration (with patch to come)

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
On 31/10/2018 15:51, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Probably just add a note to the upgrade section of CHANGES.txt,
> unless others disagree. I confess knowing very little about the
> mechanics here.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Will try to do this tomorrow.

> BTW, don't know if you're familiar with asciidoc but in case not I
> wanted to mention that there's an IntelliJ (and, I assume Eclipse)
> plugin showing you the rendering, and you can also use Atom.

vim has wonderful asciidoc support as well :-)

 - Bram

Re: Solr TLS/SSL key alias configuration (with patch to come)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
There's no reason I can imagine not to open a JIRA,
basically anyone willing to create a patch has my vote!

bq. I'm a bit worried that adding certAlias to jetty-ssl.xml might break
existing setups which don't use an alias.

Probably just add a note to the upgrade section of CHANGES.txt,
unless others disagree. I confess knowing very little about the
mechanics here.

BTW, don't know if you're familiar with asciidoc but in case not I
wanted to mention that there's an IntelliJ (and, I assume Eclipse)
plugin showing you the rendering, and you can also use Atom.

Best,
Erick