Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Random Joe <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/02 16:26:53 UTC

mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

Greetings,

I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
6.0).

In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
lines 110 - 111

if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
    # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
    require Win32;
    $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
}

Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.

I also have another doubt.

I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
Win32::Process in
Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

regards
srp

Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

> oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
> brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
> libwin32 ?
>
> perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
> which seems to be calling the system's
> GetShortPathName() directly.

Sorry about that - you're right; you'd only need libwin32
for the tests.

> > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
> > suite,
> > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
> > using
>
> Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
> nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
> mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
> operations. Apparently it does not.

I think that's right.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

Posted by Random Joe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

> --- Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
> > (VC 6.0).
> > >
> > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
> > > around lines 110 - 111
> > >
> > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
> > >     # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
> > >     require Win32;
> > >     $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
> > > }
> > >
> > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
> > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
> >
> > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
> > removed.
> >
> > > I also have another doubt.
> > >
> > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
> > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
> > > Win32::Process in
> > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
> > > this usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid
> > > using Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
> >
> > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
> > probably
> > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
> > libwin32?
> > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
>
> Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
> to document, maintain etc

Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests, you could
get away without Win32::Process, but Win32::GetShortPathName
is still required to build it. So you'd either have to

Posted by Random Joe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Random Joe wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
> 6.0).
>
> In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
> lines 110 - 111
>
> if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
>     # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
>     require Win32;
>     $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
> }
>
> Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
> Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
>
> I also have another doubt.
>
> I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
> 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
> Win32::Process in
> Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
> usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
> Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

You are talking about the Apache-Test suite, which is *not* mod_perl.
Apache-Test/ subdir is bundled there only for your convenience. It's a project
on its own.