Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org> on 2014/02/11 00:58:37 UTC

A new release is desirable

Hi all

I think it's high time to prepare a new release in the next two three
months after we have made some valuable contributions in the past 6 months.
What can we release next? Some suggestions:
- rdf.core
- platform.content
- storage (virtuoso)
- ...

WDYT?

Regards
Hasan

Re: A new release is desirable

Posted by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
Hi Reto, all

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Reto Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com> wrote:

> Hi Hasan, all,
>
> So today I did quite some changes that are think are good to have in the
> release.
> - Some fixes around System graph and documentation
> - Some changes so that our bundles have less dependencies (CLEREZZA-844 is
> still open)
> - Resolved the SKOS08/04 issue as suggested by Rupert
>
> Thanks for all of these.

> Now for the release:
>
> One option would be to release all. This would mean all bundles have a
> post-incubating release. For this we probably would want to remove the
> obsolete ext.org.apache.jena[.tdb] projects. A downside of this approach is
> that the new version (of the tdb based launcher) will have some features
> missing that were there in the incubating version (most notably the
> authentication methods other than basic).

I think it's better to keep those features available for the moment.
So I would not opt for this option.

> Another approach is to release what's in the bundlelists. The bundlelists
> are all in the provisioning folder[1]. We could release them all together,
> the feature-project alongside with all their dependency. This should be
> self-contained (an exception might be some dependency with scope test.
>
> We could also release the bundlelists/features one by one or in batches.
> For example in the following order:
>
> 0) parent (yes, that's no a feature)
> 1) felixosgi
> 2) felixweb
> 3) rdf
> 4) shell (optionally with launchers/shell-launcher)
> 5) platform.graphnodeprovider
> 6) jaxrs-whiteboard *
> 7) typerendering (optionally with launchers/typerendering-launcher)
> 8) typehandlerspace
> 9) rdf.web
> 10) platform.content (optionally with launchers/linked-data-launcher and/or
> full-launcher)

I agree with this approach. I tend to release them in batches rather than
all together.

> * I've just noticed that this relied on some Stanbol 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT for the
> Jersey 2.0 Jax-RS support. So we should either get stanbol to release those
> bundles (which might be a bit hard as the 0.12 release is still on the way,
> and a full 1.0.0 stanbol would in turn require clerezza to release some
> bundles) or provide replacement for those bundles (easy and justified as
> clerezza doesn't need the whole stanbol web support but only JAX-RS
> whiteboard).
>
> Ok, so to summarize:all the information on what can be release together
> should be there,if it's not clear then I should fix this.
>
> My proposal: We release feature by feature. Somebody other than me
> coordinates the release. (1 and 2 are a very easy staring point as they
> have no clerezza dependencies). I take care about the * so once we are at 6
> things are ready.
>
> WDYT?

@all: I think we don't need to vote on this approach. Otherwise please
shout.

Ok. I can take care of 0, 1, 2 and 3. I would need your support if there
are problems.

Please volunteer to help here taking care of other features.

Cheers
Hasan

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>.
Hi Hasan, all,