Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> on 2007/11/29 14:07:36 UTC

Repository scanning problem in 1.0?

Hi all,

first of all, congratulations to all Archiva developers for releasing the
1.0 version!

I started playing around with it a little bit, and ran into the following
problem:

After starting up a fresh instance with default configuration, I copied
parts of my existing repository to Archiva's default internal repository.
Then I used the "Scan Repository Now" button on the repository
administration page. Afterwards, all artifacts were visible on the "Browse"
page. So far so good.

I then copied some more groups of my existing repo to Archiva's default
internal repository, and used "Scan Repository Now" once again. But this
time, the "Browse" page did not show the newly added groups. This was quite
surprising, as the log output of RepositoryScanner clearly showed that
Archiva DID walk over these new artifacts, without errors or warnings. I
tried to use the "Update Database Now" button, but still no effect.

I finally touched one of the POM files in the missing groups, i.e. I gave
the POM file a new timestamp. After doing "Scan Repository Now" again, the
artifact appeared on the Browse page. When browsing into the artifact,
however, I get the error message "Unable to find project model for [...]".

Seems like a bug to me? I know that my playground scenario may be a little
bit unusual, but I would expect that Archiva should always be able to
synchronize itself to the file system contents, regardless of the files'
timestamps.

Thanks
- Arne

Re: Repository scanning problem in 1.0?

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Brett Porter wrote:

> On 30/11/2007, ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> wrote:
>> Do you think the repository scanning problem as such, as described in my
>> original mail, should be filed as a second issue?
>
> Yes, it looks that way.
>
> - Brett

I filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-612

In my opinion, this should have a high prio - Archiva should always be able
to synchronize itself to the filesystem contents, shouldn't it.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

--
Brett Porter

Re: Repository scanning problem in 1.0?

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 6:07 AM, ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> wrote:
>
>> After starting up a fresh instance with default configuration, I copied
>> parts of my existing repository to Archiva's default internal repository.
>> Then I used the "Scan Repository Now" button on the repository
>> administration page. Afterwards, all artifacts were visible on the
>> "Browse"
>> page. So far so good.
>>
>> I then copied some more groups of my existing repo to Archiva's default
>> internal repository, and used "Scan Repository Now" once again. But this
>> time, the "Browse" page did not show the newly added groups. This was
>> quite
>> surprising, as the log output of RepositoryScanner clearly showed that
>> Archiva DID walk over these new artifacts, without errors or warnings. I
>> tried to use the "Update Database Now" button, but still no effect.
>>
>> I finally touched one of the POM files in the missing groups, i.e. I gave
>> the POM file a new timestamp. After doing "Scan Repository Now" again,
>> the
>> artifact appeared on the Browse page. When browsing into the artifact,
>> however, I get the error message "Unable to find project model for
>> [...]".
>
> I've seen "Unable to find project model for [...]" in recent versions
> of Archiva, also using with existing repository contents, but have not
> been able to isolate it with publicly available repo data.
>
> Can you come up with steps to reproduce this, and attach zipped
> repository contents to a JIRA issue?  It shouldn't take more than a
> few artifacts to provoke the problem, once you know the cause.
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM

> Wendy

I filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-608 for the "unable to find
project model" problem.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.
I don't know if this is related, but now I see a NPE in the logs when using
"Update Database Now":

jvm 1    | 2007-11-29 14:16:03,340 [Thread-6] ERROR
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.TaskQueueExecutor:database-u
pdate  - Error executing task
jvm 1    |
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.getResult(FutureTask.java:299)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:118)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.waitForTask(Thread
edTaskQueueExecutor.java:159)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.run(ThreadedTaskQu
eueExecutor.java:127)
jvm 1    | Caused by:
jvm 1    | java.lang.NullPointerException
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.ProcessArchivaArtifactClosure.execute(ProcessArchivaArtifac
tClosure.java:56)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils.forAllDo(CollectionUtils.java:388)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.JdoDatabaseUpdater.updateProcessed(JdoDatabaseUpdater.java:
170)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.JdoDatabaseUpdater.updateAllProcessed(JdoDatabaseUpdater.ja
va:111)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.scheduled.executors.ArchivaDatabaseUpdateTaskExecutor.executeTask(ArchivaDat
abaseUpdateTaskExecutor.java:78)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTask
QueueExecutor.java:116)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:176)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.j
ava:665)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:
690)
jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:801)