Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daniel A. de Araujo" <da...@itautec-philco.com.br> on 2005/03/23 21:13:27 UTC

Dictionary Attack

Hi Guys,

We are receiving a lot of faked emails from outside using our own domain
using Dictonary Attacks from the same source IP.
Does anybody know a way (or a trap) to detect and block it ?

Thanks,
Daniel Araujo.

Re: Dictionary Attack

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

> We are receiving a lot of faked emails from outside using our own domain
> using Dictonary Attacks from the same source IP.
> Does anybody know a way (or a trap) to detect and block it ?

The same source ip? What about iptables? ;)

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Dictionary Attack

Posted by Menno van Bennekom <mv...@xs4all.nl>.
> We are receiving a lot of faked emails from outside using our own domain
> using Dictonary Attacks from the same source IP.
> Does anybody know a way (or a trap) to detect and block it ?

What exactly do you mean buy using your own domain?
If they use your domain as sender-address you can block them with the
postfix check_sender_access hash-file.
If they use your use your own server-name or it's ip-address as HELO then
you can block them with check_helo_access.
If the 'attackers' use certain IP-ranges or dns-suffixes you can block
them with check_client_access.
Often these attacks come from dynamic-addresses so you can use an RBL in
postfix for example 'reject_rbl_client dynablock.njabl.org'.
And as already mentioned the smtpd limits can be used to make life more
difficult for the attackers, see
http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html.
Menno van Bennekom

Re: RES: Dictionary Attack

Posted by "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com>.
On 3/23/2005 4:16 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Daniel A. de Araujo wrote:
>
>>Thanks Matt. The 2nd option looks fine, but we use Postfix. Do u (or
>>somebody) know how to implement this option at Postfix ?
>
> Try looking at smtpd_error_sleep_time and smtpd_soft_error_limit at this
> page:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/rate.html

That's the right track definitely. I use:

	smtpd_error_sleep_time = 10s
	smtpd_soft_error_limit = 3
	smtpd_hard_error_limit = 5

That stops most malware and dictionary attacks but still tolerates
problematic clients and my fat-fingered tests.

Re: RES: Dictionary Attack

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Daniel A. de Araujo wrote:

>Thanks Matt. The 2nd option looks fine, but we use Postfix. Do u (or
>somebody) know how to implement this option at Postfix ?

Try looking at smtpd_error_sleep_time and smtpd_soft_error_limit at this
page:

http://www.postfix.org/rate.html

I'm not really a postfix sort, but that's the closest set of commands I
can find.

RES: Dictionary Attack

Posted by "Daniel A. de Araujo" <da...@itautec-philco.com.br>.
Thanks Matt. The 2nd option looks fine, but we use Postfix. Do u (or
somebody) know how to implement this option at Postfix ?

txs
Daniel.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.