Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by cgaeking <ch...@gaeking.de> on 2009/05/18 11:15:12 UTC

$site - variable is lost in header.vm (no menus displayed) when using dojo-tooltips in combination with ajax

I have an problem with jetspeed 2.1 when using intensively ajax-requests
through the portlet-pipeline.
Having a portlet where some dojo-tooltips can be displayed when a user moves
the mouse over them. The content of the tooltips is being requested via the
portlet-pipeline as ajax-requests.
This works quite well, but "sometimes" when the portal-page is being
reloaded through a link in the portlet the menu of the portal will not be
displayed anymore. Through debugging I figured out that the $site - Variable
is not set anymore. Another reloading of the page and the menu appears
again.

I see this only when I use the tooltips from the dojo-package (dojo 1.2.3).
When I use different dojo functions the $site-variable is always available.
Is there maybe a timing or caching problem in jetspeed when switching from
one pipeline to another?
The header.vm is being called correctly and everything - just the variable
where I catch the menus from is lost.
This phenomenon appears if the user clicks on a normal portlet-action-link
several times. Tested in IE6, IE7, IE8 and Firefox 3.1
Any help appreciated!
Greetings Christian Gäking

Re: $site - variable is lost in header.vm (no menus displayed) when using dojo-tooltips in combination with ajax

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Christian,

If you are in a position to build the portal from source, try to apply
the 773753 commit to ProfilerValveImpl.java which removed a reset the
portal site component on pipeline changes. This was changed in 2.2 for
reasons similar to what you are describing here.

You also might want to take 2.2 for a test run since it is nearing
release. Please note that building it correctly is a challenge at the
moment, but we'd be glad to help if you are interested.

Randy