Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2016/01/04 19:58:11 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents Core 5.0 alpha1 released

The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce 5.0-alpha1
release of HttpComponents Core.

This is a major release that renders HttpCore API incompatible with the
stable 4.x branch and upgrades HTTP/1.1 protocol conformance to the
requirements and recommendations of the latest protocol specification.
This release lays the foundation for transition to HTTP/2 as the primary
transport protocol in the future releases.

Notable changes and features included in the 5.0 series are:

* Improved conformance to requirements and recommendations of the latest
HTTP/1.1 protocol specification (RFC 7230, RFC 7231)

* Blocking I/O and NIO HTTP transport implementation has been folded
into one module

* Package name space changed to 'org.apache.hc.core5'

* Maven group id changed to 'org.apache.httpcomponents.core5'

HttpCore 5.0 releases can be co-located with earlier versions.

Please note that as of 5.0 HttpCore requires Java 1.7 or newer.

Please note that at this point 5.0 APIs are considered API experimental
and unstable and are expected to change in the coming releases without
providing a migration path.

Download - <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
Release notes -
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/RELEASE_NOTES-5.0.x.txt>
HttpComponents site - <http://hc.apache.org/>

About HttpComponents Core

HttpCore is a set of low level HTTP transport components that can be
used to build custom client and server side HTTP services with a minimal
footprint. HttpCore supports two I/O models: a blocking I/O model based
on the classic Java I/O and a non-blocking, event driven I/O model based
on Java NIO.