Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/11 16:05:27 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Arrow board report October 2018

Apache Arrow is a cross-language development platform for in-memory data. It
specifies a standardized language-independent columnar memory format for flat
and hierarchical data, organized for efficient analytic operations on modern
hardware. It also provides computational libraries and zero-copy streaming
messaging and interprocess communication. Languages currently supported include
C, C++, Go, Java, JavaScript, MATLAB, Python, R, Ruby, and Rust.

## Issues:

- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:

- The Arrow and Parquet communities resolved by vote to merge their respective
  C++ codebases in the Apache Arrow repository. This work was completed this
  quarter
- The project received two code donations via IP clearance: a GLib interface to
  the Parquet C++ libraries, and the Gandiva LLVM vectorized Arrow expression
  compiler
- Work has commenced on R language integration with the C++ libraries
- An initial MATLAB binding to the C++ libraries was contributed

## Health report:
- The project is very healthy, though rapid user and contributor growth has
  stressed the limits of our developer tooling and put a great deal of burden
  on the active project maintainers

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 24 PMC members.
 - Antoine Pitrou was added to the PMC on Mon Aug 20 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 33 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Andrew Grove was added as a committer on Tue Aug 07 2018
    - Krisztian Szucs was added as a committer on Thu Aug 16 2018

## Releases:

 - 0.10.0 was released on Sun Aug 05 2018
 - 0.11.0 was released on Sun Oct 07 2018

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Arrow board report October 2018

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Uwe just replied to the Parquet thread so we can pursue further there

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@wework.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.