Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com> on 2019/03/26 13:58:14 UTC

Turbine 5 - next steps

Hello all,

We are getting closer to being able to release Turbine 5.  The only
remaining fulcrum component still in snapshot is security.

Georg, I know you did most of the work here. Is there anything else that I
can do to help?  I know this one is a multi-module component like json.
Since you have done most of the lifting on this one, do you mind preparing
the release for it whenever you are ready?

That will then leave us to update the website for all the new fulcrum
components and decide on when Turbine 5 is ready for an initial release. I
have never pushed the website updates before - the fulcrum readme seems to
cover the steps, but I would feel better if someone who knows what they
are doing can take care of that :-)

Thomas - I updated the turbine web archetype to work with all the changes
you made to the Pipeline and RunData - also carried those changes over to
one app I have running in prod and no complaints so far!  It wasn't too
difficult to make the upgrades necessary to use your new code.

Torque - I added reporting plugins yesterday for PMD and FindBugs to the
parent pom and then made some minor edits to the generator code.

It looks like jenkin's build was already broken before I did that, and I
am not sure what needs to be done to get it back into build state, so I am
holding off on doing any more code review there until you guys fix it :-)

We've made great progress over the past few months. Looking forward to
getting Turbine 5 out there!

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Turbine 5 - next steps

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi Jeff,

thanks to summarize this again! I agree, the 5.0 release is the next and
should get prepared after this prerequisite is met - I will do, what I
can, triggering the vote.., please give me a couple of days.. ;-)

Site building is not so much difficult, the mechanism is that a local copy
is checked out and compared/updated with the changes (checkoutDirectory
parameter in maven-scm-publish-plugin), but I think turbine/site and
turbine/fulcrum/trunk/site are just more like wrappers.
We could generate the turbine-5 site and after this is done, update the
wrapping using turbine/site. Fulcrum sites seem to be more easy, as we do
provide no versions yet (may have to change this? Fulcrum 2.x, Fulcrum 1.,
but we are not yet consistent, Fulcrum Security is still 1.1.3, I think,
because we decided to wait with updating to 2.0 until Torque 4.1 is
released, but there are other Fulcrum components with version 1.x). We
might decide to do this from case to case, if needed ...

I experienced as well, that the Jenkin Builds fails oddly, after any
Torque commit. If I remember correctly, there is already an INFRA ticket?

Best regards, Georg