Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2012/08/30 17:50:23 UTC

SDB - community testing RC

At the moment, SDB is available as a snapshot build of the development
system or as an old, non-Apache, build from some time ago.

We'd like to do an Apache release of SDB -- we need your help to do so.

The barrier to a release is testing - there are many more combinations
and external factors for SDB than any other component.  We, the
developers, can't hope to cover all the possibilities.

So over the next month, we are going to run a release cycle for SDB.

We ask SDB users to test the current snapshot build and report success
or failures to this list from running in your own development setups.

This does not mean SDB will be included in the general Jena release - no
decision has been made.

All reports are helpful - database type, database version, OS and
version, java and version, etc because these can all make a difference.
  Even if someone else has reported something apparently the same,
please do send a report - we do keep finding apparently similar setups
that are not similar.

The snapshot repository contains a zip distribution as well as the maven
artifacts:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/jena/jena-sdb/

The current version is:

1.3.5-20120829.115815-1.jar

but testing any 1.3.5 dated after this one is fine (Nexus clears up old
builds periodically - don't worry if copies disappear).

There is a tag in svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/tags/jena-sdb-1.3.4-RC-1/

Also: if there are any JIRA contributions that have been overlooked, do
prompt us and we'll try to include them.

     Andy

------------------------------------

SDB testing report:

SDB Version (date of download, output of "sdbprint --version"):

Database type and version:

OS and version:

JDBC connector:

Java:

Report:

(What worked, what didn't, anything you noticed)

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Francesco Panico <fp...@imolinfo.it>.
Ciao Paolo,

Your question is interesting :)

We selected a set of opensource tools to face governance problems of our
Customers. RDBMS is an component of the solution.
Customers have enterprise IT systems and we have to integrate those tools
with those systems (fuseki as example). Usually they ask for some features,
like scalability and  quality of service.
We prefer the use of RDBMS for different reasons:

-technical reasons:
RDBMS is scalabile and we can controll quality of service (or we can try to
do it).

-transactiona problems
-- Customers know that RDBMS solve transaction issues, while if you use
file system you have to explain how to solve them.

-reuse of skills, infrastructures and licences
Customers usually have a DB (Oracle as example). It means
--they pay a the licence,
--their employees are skilled on (Oracle) DB,
--they have one or more server for it (I mean machine and configuration
costs)
--they pay for assistance.
If I use RDBMS I can reuse all this structures; while if I use file system
I have to recreate all those structures or at least some of those
(according with quality of service customer needs).

-Cultural problems
If Customers' employees use RDBMS for years ti is difficult to convince
them to use other solutions

-Architectural problems
--In Enterprise Architectures you would expose your knowledge base as a
service (with the quality of service customer needs), so that different
clients (business clients or administration clients) can use it. RDBMS
solves this issue natively.

I hope it's usefull for you

Regards
Francesco.

--
ufficio:  0542 32640
mail:     fpanico@imolinfo.it

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@gmail.com>.
Ciao Francesco,

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 07/09/12 17:01, Francesco Panico wrote:
> We report the experience on last official SDB release.
> We do not find a change log on 1.3.5 so we do not know if the bug has been
> fixed. We have to test it.

Great - I believe that the issue you encountered is fixed.  The
migration from SourceForge to Apache makes it a little harder to track
although I believe that the entire history was imported when we imported
into Apache SVN.

I'd certainly hope so ... the ingest took quite a long time during which
ASF SVN was read only (planned - 1 hour - actually 4+ hours - oops!)
because of the long history.

	Andy

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Francesco Panico <fp...@imolinfo.it>.

--
ufficio:  0542 32640
mail:     fpanico@imolinfo.it

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: SDB - community testing RC

Posted by Francesco Panico <fp...@imolinfo.it>.
Hi Handy,

It's two year my society (GruppoImola) works with jena. Our customers are
banks and insurances, so it's important to store triples in a relational DB
instand of File System.
We focused on SDB. We have 5 customers with a semantic application in a
production environment based on jena, sdb and semantic mediawiki.
Untill now we used SDB 1.3.4. We hope our experience may be usefull for you.
Here issue and test:

1-autoreconnect
SDB uses a JDBC connection without autoreconnect.
We have found and a update a project to obtain the outoreconnect feature (
https://github.com/shellac/ReconnectingSDB).
This is an important feature in entrerprice environment because usually it
is not possible restart the server every time the connection falls
We test it using different configurations:

SDB Version (date of download, output of "sdbprint --version"): 1.3.4

Database type and version: mysql 5.0.95, 5.5

OS and version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8, Ubuntu 12.04
and Centos 5.6

JDBC connector: mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar or later

Java: 1.7.0_03 or later

fuseki:  0.2.4

Report:

Autoreconnect -> work properly
sparql query -> work properly
sparul query -> work properly

2-Oracle DB support:
SDB support oracle DB 10g.
We tested it and we find a bug.
SDB translates SPARQ to SQL query properly but the outcome query contains
some sql command that Oracle 10g does no supports.
For example the outcome query contains "Limit" (it work properly using
mysql DB). In Oracle DB you should use "rownum" instead.

SDB Version (date of download, output of "sdbprint --version"): 1.3.4

Database type and version: oracle 10g

OS and version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8

JDBC connector: mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar or later

Java: 1.7.0_03 or later

Report:
sparql query translation contains "limit" intand of "rownum", so if you use
Oracle 10g query crach.

3-excell output
GruppoImola develop a way to retrieve Sqparql/Sparul query output as Excell
file.
Some customers ask for this feature to avoid to parse CSV to Excell file.
If you are interested in it I can send you the code. It's a fuseky
developed on fuseki 0.2.4.

Regards
Francesco

Re: SDB - community testing RC