Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sim IJskes <si...@nyx.xs4all.nl> on 2000/04/06 11:57:29 UTC

Re: [VOTE] The current form-based login implementation in Tomcat 3.1

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> * Comment out the current code that implements
>   FORM-based authentication, so that no one will
>   run into a partially complete implementation.  This
>   will go on the list of things for the next release.

Please don't do this! Pretty please?

Gr. Sim

Re: [VOTE] The current form-based login implementation in Tomcat 3.1

Posted by Sim IJskes <si...@nyx.xs4all.nl>.
Jason Hunter wrote:

> How's this for a solution:
>
> Remove the hook that acts on the FORM tag and make it act on
> EXPERIMENTAL_FORM.  Let FORM be unsupported.  We'll allow a FORM
> entry when we behave according to the spec.  Put in the release notes
> that experimenters can use EXPERIMENTAL_FORM.  This solution should
> require minimal code changes, accomplishes the main things everyone
> wants, and brings us closer to the spirit of the spec.

Perfect idea!

Gr. Sim

Re: [VOTE] The current form-based login implementation in Tomcat 3.1

Posted by Jason Hunter <jh...@acm.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Sim IJskes wrote:
>
> > "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > > * Comment out the current code that implements
> > >   FORM-based authentication, so that no one will
> > >   run into a partially complete implementation.  This
> > >   will go on the list of things for the next release.
> >
> > Please don't do this! Pretty please?
> >

> OK, so who is volunteering to sign up for the bug reports
> we're going to get on this topic -- people are going to try it and
> find out that it doesn't work correctly (as well as not meeting the
> spec) -- in spite of any dire warnings to the contrary in the
> release notes.

Yep, nobody reads release notes.

> Personally, I'm much more comfortable
> with "sorry, it's not supported" than I am with "it's kinda, sorta
> there, but it's broken" which is the current state of the code.

I agree with Craig.

Poorly-implemented security is *not* acceptable in my book.  The
fact that the project is open source doesn't change what justifies
release quality.  I don't think a commercial entity should ship
partially-working security.  Why should we?

Imagine we had no form-based security checked in.  Imagine someone
proposed we do a half implementation before release.  Would we allow
that?

How's this for a solution:

Remove the hook that acts on the FORM tag and make it act on
EXPERIMENTAL_FORM.  Let FORM be unsupported.  We'll allow a FORM
entry when we behave according to the spec.  Put in the release notes
that experimenters can use EXPERIMENTAL_FORM.  This solution should
require minimal code changes, accomplishes the main things everyone
wants, and brings us closer to the spirit of the spec.

-jh-

P.S.  Cross-posting on tomcat-dev where this seems to belong.  Please
send comments on my proposal to that list alone.

Re: [VOTE] The current form-based login implementation in Tomcat 3.1

Posted by Jason Hunter <jh...@acm.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Sim IJskes wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
>
> > * Comment out the current code that implements
> >   FORM-based authentication, so that no one will
> >   run into a partially complete implementation.  This
> >   will go on the list of things for the next release.
>
> Please don't do this! Pretty please?

OK, so who is volunteering to sign up for the bug reports we're going to get
on this topic -- people are going to try it and find out that it doesn't work
correctly (as well as not meeting the spec) -- in spite of any dire warnings
to the contrary in the release notes.  Personally, I'm much more comfortable
with "sorry, it's not supported" than I am with "it's kinda, sorta there, but
it's broken" which is the current state of the code.

> Gr. Sim

Craig